xviii

• third person •

"Oi. Leave him alone."

Leon pouted, continuing. "You're such a killjoy, August. Sometimes I forget that you're not the one in charge here!" he complained.

Luca was asleep, his arms folded as his head leant against the wall of the carriage. His mouth was shut, his eyebrows slightly furrowed.

Leon was currently tugging at his cheek, trying to see how long it would take for Luca to realise and wake.

"Ugh, he's such a deep sleeper after he's had some fun." Leon's gaze fell to Luca's slightly stained sleeves. "Haha, that sounds wrong."

Heaving a sigh, August rolled his eyes, leaning against his hand. Leon continued to poke his captain's cheek.

"Isn't it so crazy though? I was thinking, and... can you believe that this guy once had everything?" Leaning forward slightly, Leon pushed away a few strands in front of Luca's sleeping eyes. "The looks, the money, the personality, the talent. And he gave it all away just for a love he was eventually going to lose. I couldn't imagine ever giving up all of that."

"Technically he's still got everything except the money."

Leon hummed thoughtfully. "Yeah, well. Surely he could have found some love in at least one of those rich women he was going to be married off to? I just can't understand the thought process. He clearly likes to romanticise a lot of things, so why couldn't he romanticise a life where he had everything?"

August glanced out of the window, his eyes narrowing slightly. "You know how he is. A hopeless lover boy. He found his soulmate, and he would do anything to be with her. Even if it led him into a life where he lost everything. He would rather be happy with nothing, rather than be unhappy with everything."

"To him, his love and his child are his everything. Money and all of the pompous acts of his family were nothing to him. I understand what he was thinking."

Leon fell silent for a moment, his lips forming a small pout, staring at Luca's finely shaped face.

"I think you might just be jealous of him," August teased with a chuckle.

"Me?" Leon huffed. "Of him?" His stare became even more intense. "Who wouldn't be. If I was one of those women he was going to be married to, I'd be devastated to find out what he did. What a loss."

"You're so obsessed with that face of his I bet you would marry him even like this."

"Hey!" Leon exclaimed. "You're so funny. Fuck off!"

All of a sudden, they heard a low groan.

"What are you two arguing about this time..."

Leon yelped, leaping away onto the other side of the seat. August burst into a fit of laughter.

"Nothing Sir. Did you have a nice beauty sleep?" August questioned with a grin.

"It was decent," Luca sighed, shaking his head. "How long was I asleep for?"

"About half an hour. Leon was having fun admiring your looks. Quite handsome while you sleep, aren't you?"

Luca raised an eyebrow in confusion. Leon's face shot red, yelling, "Shut up! You asshole!"

"Quiet..." Luca muttered, holding his head.

Both Leon and August glanced at each other, their teasing rapidly grinding to a halt.

"Are you alright, Luca?" August questioned, his gaze immediately softening.

Luca was silent, his eyes clamping shut, running a hand through his hair.