xxxiv

• third person •

The man groaned when he was kicked in the gut again, his hands and feet tied, his eyes blindfolded.

"Stop lying! You know exactly what Luca (L/N)'s plan is!"

The man on the floor grinned, his teeth gritted in pain. "That man changes his plans every two seconds. You aren't gonna get answers from me when I'm tied up like this."

August coughed when he was kicked again, right in the chest. Blood trickled down his chin, his wrists red with friction from the rope tied around them.

"If you wanna know what I honestly think," he muttered beneath his breath, his smile still wide, "I think that man is probably just making out with our friend right now."

August winced when his hair was suddenly grabbed, his usual messy bun spilled over his blood-stained shoulders.

"The only reason you're not dead yet is because you're pretty. Soon enough, you'll be sent off for the soldiers to deal with. Remember that."

At that, August's smile fell, his eyebrows furrowing.

Finally, his hair was released, before a sad plate of food was dropped before him, his blindfold ripped off, revealing his narrowed pink eyes. His breath heaved, as the wicked man finally began to walk away.

He leant back against the cold wall behind him, staring at the ceiling in exhaustion.

I'm gonna die...

• • •

"What's wrong?"

Kaeya tilted his head, tightening his hold upon (Y/N)'s hand as she walked slowly behind him, a frown on her lips.

Her mouth opened for a moment. Then it closed again.

"(Y/N)."

Kaeya heaved a breath.

"Why didn't you tell me the maids are treating you this way..?"

(Y/N)'s gaze fell. They were currently walking back to the winery from her house, the sky above them beginning to darken. Her shift was long over.

"What way..?" she mumbled.

Kaeya's shoulders tensed. (Y/N) glanced at him.

"Like- like you're nothing! Like they hate you or something! You've never done anything wrong so why are they so rude to you? You're just a kid! It's so unfair!" he burst out.

(Y/N)'s eyebrows furrowed. Her pupils darted around, as they were still in Springvale.

"It's nothing," she whispered.

Kaeya's feet halted. "Yes it is!" he exclaimed. "You don't deserve to be treated like this!"

(Y/N)'s eyes narrowed. She could feel the oncoming stares. "Don't make a scene, Kaeya. Please..."

Kaeya stood back a little. He shook his head, grabbing both of her hands.

"(Y/N)."

(Y/N) lifted her head slightly in shame.

"Why does everyone treat you like this..? You're... the sweetest and most selfless person I have ever met. I don't understand."

(Y/N)'s pupils shook. Her breath hitched slightly for a moment, her grip on Kaeya's hands loosening.

"I-I... I don't know," she replied beneath her breath.

She really didn't know. She didn't know the underlying cause of why everyone hated her. Was it because she was mean to their children as a kid? But then why did the maids hate her from her first day? Did her mother do something? But then, why did everyone in Springvale also hate her father?