v

• two years later •

• third person •

A frustrated sigh escaped the young girl's lips.

Why is this so hard..? No one wants me at all...

Those three are already almost knights, but I...

I'm still nothing at all...

(Y/N) gripped the hem of her skirt as she stood silently at the flowing fountain at the city square. Bustles of people chattered along in the streets, with the stray few cats and dogs joining in with the song of the birds in the bright rays of sunlight.

"(Y/N)! Hey! Hey, it's been some time!"

(Y/N) blinked. Her head raised, before her eyes softened.

A familiar red-haired figure in that very shining uniform rushed over towards her, a glimmering beam upon his lips.

"Hello, Diluc," (Y/N) greeted.

"Hi!" Diluc folded his arms. "What are you up to? I just got back from training! I didn't expect to see you again so soon."

Diluc's head tilted when he noticed his friend's gaze fall, her brows furrowing for a moment.

"I was looking for a job..." (Y/N) mumbled. "But I'm too young everywhere." She huffed. "Why can you guys be training knights at nine but I can't even stand at a shop for a few hours when I'm nine? Everyone thinks I'm still a baby!"

Diluc blinked. His pupils averted for a moment. Last time I saw her, she was looking a job then too... And that was a month or two ago...

"Training is different to working, (Y/N)," Diluc stated with a sad smile. "You don't need to work right now. You are still... little."

"You're only one year older than me!" (Y/N) retorted. She held her hips, before turning away, angry tears beginning to well in her eyes. "Now that Mom's sick, Dad has to work even harder. I need to help him..."

The young, soon-to-be knight hesitated for a moment.

(Y/N) sniffled, before wiping away her forming tears. She turned back towards Diluc, who only stared at her helplessly.

"S-sorry," she murmured. "A-Anyway."

A gulp travelled down Diluc's throat.

"How is Kaeya? And Jean? It's been a while since I last saw them. You're around the city more often than them."

Diluc scratched his head. "U-um... K...Kaeya should actually be here any moment! I finished my training early, so he said he'll meet me at the square. He should be done by now."

(Y/N)'s eyes widened. "N-now?!"

"Dilu—!"

(Y/N)'s shoulders jumped. Rapidly, she span on her heels, facing away from the approaching figure who had in fact, halted in his tracks.

"...(Y/N)..?"

Diluc's head tilted at (Y/N)'s strange reaction.