xxxviii

• third person •

(Y/N)'s face had become riddled with red.

He'd beat her to it.

Slowly, she nodded, unable to control her shaky breaths.

"I really do..." she whispered. "I really love you," she mumbled. "I-I want to say more to you than that, but..."

Kaeya's hand remained so delicately holding hers. Gradually, he stood, helping her up also, the biggest smile still spread across his face.

"Really..?" he asked softly. He couldn't believe it. Well, he could, but at the same time... Was this really real?

(Y/N) beamed. "Mhm... For ages. At first I wasn't that sure... because I don't really know how this is all supposed to feel, and it seemed the entire universe wanted us apart, but... now I've realised... that you're really special to me."

Shyly, her head fell a little, as Kaeya reached forward, gently cupping her cheek.

"You always... look after me... And care for me a lot... I guess I just couldn't help it..." (Y/N) averted her gaze. Her face was burning. "You know, falling in love with you."

To (Y/N)'s surprise, Kaeya just stared at her, like the star in his eye was growing exponentially, his whole body tensed, as if he were about to start jumping or something.

And then, (Y/N) yelped. Without warning, Kaeya suddenly picked her up, spinning her around, giggling so happily, sparkling like the twinkle of the stars above, as if nothing existed anymore except the two of them.

He beamed, placing her down, before tugging her into his embrace so tightly, his voice so soft, so gentle against her ear. "I'm so happy!" he squealed.

"I'm so happy I could kiss you!"

(Y/N)'s face reddened further. Kaeya's eye widened in realisation of what he had just said.

"Uhm..." his gaze warmed, "if you want to, that is."

(Y/N)'s eyelashes fluttered, her hand automatically reaching forward, guiding him in. There was nothing more she wanted right now, than to be close to him... Closer and closer, closer than she had ever been before...

It felt... so strange...

She could feel his breathing intertwining with hers.

It felt... so wrong... yet... so right...

"Yes..."

Like something so far out of reach... yet also... right in front of her...

"I want to..."

Kaeya smiled so fondly, his nose bumping against hers as her hands wrapped around his nape, gently tugging him down. He carefully placed his hands around her waist.

"I really love you too," he mumbled, their lips only millimetres apart.

The cutest giggle escaped. "I..."

(Y/N) blinked when Kaeya suddenly raised his head.

His pupil dilated, an abrupt creak echoing through the room.

Unexpectedly, he released her, his breath shaking. (Y/N) turned towards the door behind her. It was closed.

"Was that... who I think it was?" Kaeya muttered to himself.

"Wh-what..?" (Y/N) frowned.

Kaeya shook his head, before delicately patting the top of hers.

"I think you should check who's outside that door," he said quietly.