xvii

• third person •

Waking up knowing she wasn't going to see her father first thing was probably the hardest thing (Y/N) knew she had to get used to.

It made her whole body hurt, her heart clench, her stomach drop. Her father was the only person in her life, and now she just had to accept that he was not going to be there for archons know how long.

(Y/N) rubbed her forehead, unconscious tears dripping onto the duvet. She had had a bad dream. And her father wasn't there to comfort her.

The tears only fell harsher. It hurt so much.

Her body jolted when there was a knock on the door.

"Y-yes?" she stammered. She sniffled, struggling to wipe her face.

"Good morning... Are you alright..?" It was... Adelinde. "Would you like to have anything in particular for breakfast?

"Not hungry," (Y/N) mumbled, droplets still seeping down her face.

"Can I come in?"

(Y/N) fell silent. She couldn't let Adelinde see her like this. She was... she was supposed to just be that cheerful little kid to Adelinde.

But... for some reason... (Y/N) couldn't bring herself to say no.

And then, to her own surprise, she just... broke down into tears.

The door was opened, and then closed again.

(Y/N) could only feel her heart tear even more when she saw the pitiful frown on Adelinde's lips.

The maid quickly approached her, sitting beside her on the bed. (Y/N) sniffled, attempting to wipe her eyes, before noticing the older woman bring out her hand.

(Y/N) placed her hand into Adelinde's, her warm fingers gently caressing the back of her palm.

(Y/N) stared at their hands, her sobs slowly began to calm.

"Just cereal," (Y/N) whispered, "please."

Adelinde's head tilted. "Are you sure? We have a lot of options, and the boys love to stuff their faces in first thing."

The maid's lips curved when a small giggle left (Y/N).

"I don't want to bother you or the other maids..." (Y/N) mumbled, as Adelinde began to wipe her tears away with a tissue.

"Right now, you're not working, so everyone here should treat you as our honoured guest, rather than our colleague. Don't worry yourself about such things."

(Y/N) stared at her lap, her lips pursing.

"Speaking of work, you have been given the day off today."

(Y/N)'s head raised, her eyebrows knitting in perplexion.

"Don't argue about it. Just enjoy your day today. You deserve to take a little breather."

Gradually, Adelinde released (Y/N)'s hand, standing up. A small sigh heaved from (Y/N)'s chest, as the maid approached the door.

"The finest cereals will be awaiting your arrival at the dining table, Miss (Y/N)." Adelinde beamed, before, eventually, she left the room, not even giving (Y/N) a chance to react.