xiii

• third person •

Luca could feel the increasing tightness against his hand once they stood at the front door of the winery.

He glanced at his daughter, her breath slightly quickened, hiding behind him when he held the door handle.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart. What are you worried about?"

(Y/N) pursed her lips, stuffing her face into his shoulder. Luca's head tilted, a small exhale escaping him.

"Can't answer?" His gaze softened.

(Y/N) shook her head.

"It's okay. As long as you know inside here," he pointed at the left side of her chest, "then it will all be just fine."

Her hands were trembling.

"(Y/N)."

She clutched her father's sleeve. Her throat had closed.

"Look at me, sweetheart." Luca leant down, attempting to see her face. "Let the air in... Come on."

"It's a lovely breeze right now..! You'll miss it!"

Her father turned slightly. His fingers clasped her little ones. "Look at how the grape vines sway, and the green leaves that rustle through the trees: isn't it so beautiful?"

(Y/N) nodded. She leant against her father's arm, her breath heavy as it finally came back.

"Are you okay?" Her father frowned.

His daughter stared at the grape vines in silence, attempting to catch her breath. It was a few moments until she could finally speak again.

"Yeah..." she whispered. "Sorry Dad..."

Luca shook his head, pressing a delicate kiss upon her hot forehead. "You never have to apologise to me. Are you ready, or would you like some time?"

"I'm ready," she mumbled.

Sighing, her father simply pulled her into his arms, nuzzling the top of her head for a sweet moment, before pulling away, taking her hand into his once more.

"I'm here if you need me, okay?"

"Thanks Dad..."

Like usual, (Y/N) couldn't find it in her to meet her father's worried expression. All she ever did was worry him. It was all she was good for...

"Come on," he whispered solemnly, before he grabbed the handle again. "It will be okay."

Nodding once more, (Y/N) followed behind him as he pushed open the door, shutting it behind them both. His eyebrows raised for a moment, noticing none other than Master Crepus standing at the table, his butler by his side, seemingly concerned but conflicted looks on their faces the moment the three of them met eyes.

Crepus smiled kindly. "Ah, Luca. You're just in time. Your manager has something urgent to discuss with you, but I have decided to join as well. I hope that's alright."

"Urgent?" Luca questioned with a slight pout. "Will you be alright?" He looked down at his daughter.

(Y/N) nodded.

Crepus blinked. He hadn't realised (Y/N) was behind him. He folded his arms, averting his gaze for a moment, before smiling once more.

"(Y/N)!" Crepus exclaimed. "Did you manage to make the uniform fit? It looks great!"

Luca tapped her head with a proud grin. (Y/N)'s cheeks warmed. "She's very talented."

"Alright." Crepus began to approach them. (Y/N)'s grip on her father's hand began to relax. "Adelinde will be here in just a moment to introduce you to the maids while they're on their lunch break. I have already let her know what your job will be today, so just ask her if you need any help. Sorry that I'm a little busy today to be of much help," Crepus sighed with an apologetic smile. "If I'm ever unavailable, Adelinde will always be your first port of call."