iii

• third person •

"You're daydreaming again."

The man let out a large sigh, signing off yet another paper. "Oh, you know how much I miss my dear wife and my lovely daughter! Ohh..."

He continued, much to his colleague's despair, "I miss kissing my wife goodnight... I miss seeing my daughter's cute little grin- Oh! How I yearn to be back in Mondstadt!"

"Ugh... You're literally going back early, Sir."

The man gasped, his shoulders shooting up. "Right! I am! Thank the Archons I'm the employee every boss wants, haha!"

His colleague groaned. "You always act as if you're not always sent home early. Maybe boss just wants to get rid of you as soon as he can!"

"Someone's a little jealous, it seems! Hahaha! You know I'm just the best at getting the job done as soon as possible!"

The man's colleague rolled his eyes, sitting upon a chair in the small room. A knock on the door caused both of their heads to raise.

Another of his colleague's peeked through the door. "Sir, you have a letter."

The man shot up. "I do? Is it from my darling?!" He sped towards the door, grabbing the letter with a quick thanks. "Oh, my beautiful wife wrote to me!!"

"You're sickening."

"Oh, keep your spite to yourself and get yourself a love if you so desperately crave one like mine!"

"Tch."

The man chuckled to himself, quickly pulling open the letter. His heart pounded with his affection, an anticipating beam on his face to read whatever his love had to say to him.

However, it seemed, his smile had immediately fallen, the pumping of his heart momentarily coming to an abrupt halt.

It's getting worse, read the opening lines of the letter. I don't know how much longer I can hide it from her.

• • •

Squeals erupted in the air, cheers echoing for the two animals on the floor who had just been set off on their race.

"Woah, Diluc's tortoise is so quick!" (Y/N) shouted excitedly, clapping her hands.

Jean folded her arms, puffing out her cheeks. "I need to train mine better."

Diluc giggled. "You might beat me in sword fighting, but you'll never beat me in tortoise racing! Hahaha!!"

"Diluc wins!" announced Kaeya at the finish line.

"Haha! I knew it!" Diluc exclaimed. "Good race, Jean!"

"L-let's have anoth-!"

"Miss Jean! You have to go home now: your mother's here to pick you up."

A sudden maid had appeared from the back door, interrupting their games.

Jean frowned. "Ah- okay." Hurriedly, she picked up her tortoise, before approaching the maid. "Bye everyone!"

"Bye bye!"

"Bye Jean!"

"Bye bye."

The maid turned towards the two boys. "You two need to do your reading too. Come on, chop chop."