xxxvi

• third person •

A soft hum drifted through the air as Kaeya brushed his fingers through her hair, his eye fluttering shut in silence.

They had been in the exact same position upon the training room floor for the past five minutes. (Y/N) was still snuggled right into his neck, her fingers still unconsciously wrapped around his shirt.

And finally, after a while, she spoke.

"Kaeya," she whispered.

"Hm..?" He was a little zoned out.

"Do you think... I need protecting..?"

"Maybe..." Kaeya yawned, stuffing his face into her shoulder.

(Y/N) stared at the floor in thought. "You really think so..?"

"Everyone always wants to protect me... I understand why but... Why is it that... it seems... the whole world is against me, anyway..?"

"I don't understand..."

"Sometimes it makes me wonder... About that one time when I was small... My mother's words... that day I stopped coming to the winery..."

"I wish I knew the truth of why she said all of that... There must have been something... I'm sure that it wasn't just to make me hate her..."

"Maybe it was something to do with her past..." Kaeya murmured sleepily. (Y/N) was so nice and warm and cosy... especially after such a tiring training session...

Her eyes narrowing, (Y/N) pouted a little. "Probably... I wish my dad would just come back so I could ask him. I wish I had known before he left how many secrets he hides."

She frowned, brushing her lips against Kaeya's neck as she moved her head a little. "I've always known that my dad isn't okay... but... I never knew he was... traumatised... That's what Master Crepus said... A 'trauma response'... What is a 'trauma response'..? I'm so confused..."

"I need to know everything..."

Kaeya smiled unconsciously. He didn't hear a single word she said. "Hm..."

At his lack of response, (Y/N) lifted her head again, glancing at him. Kaeya was nodding off.

"Kaeya," she mumbled.

"Hmm..?"

For some reason, (Y/N) couldn't help it when, seemingly abruptly, she burst into giggles.

Kaeya blinked when she suddenly pushed him down to the floor, still clutching him, just giggling and giggling in the warmth of his arms.

"You're so cute," she whispered. "Why didn't you tell me you're sleepy?"

Kaeya averted his gaze, a blush spreading rampantly across his face.

"Cute..?" he questioned softly.

(Y/N)'s mouth opened for a moment, only just realising what she had said. Her face immediately reddened also.

Kaeya broke into a sleepy chuckle, his shoulders shaking, his eye fluttering shut.

"You're cuter," he murmured beneath his breath.

(Y/N) shook her head, lifting it a little, her face directly in front of his.

Her pupils flickered, his eye still closed. His warm breaths fanned against her, and, well...

It seemed he had knocked out.

"Kaeya..?"

A silly smile spread across her face as silence draped across the large training room. Slowly, she reached up, delicately brushing away the bangs in front of his face.