vi

• third person •

"She's finally asleep..."

The young (Y/N)'s breath fell heavy, finally losing that last grip on her consciousness, drifting right off to the dreamworld in the comfort of her parents' presence.

Her mother stared silently at her, mindlessly brushing her fingers through her daughter's hair, a clear frown on her lips.

"Luca..." she whispered, "...do you think it was a bad idea..? Perhaps we should have never told her at all..."

Her husband's gaze fell.

"It would only be more painful... when the day comes."

"I warned you about this," (Y/N)'s mother couldn't help her welling tears. "I told you not to marry me. I told you that this day would catch up to us. We risked so much just to have (Y/N). It's only a miracle that I didn't pass it down to her."

"And you being (Y/N)'s mother is also a miracle, Ilse. You've defied your illness so many times. Why are you giving up now? We can still give (Y/N) so much. We still have so much time."

Ilse shook her head. She took a sharp breath in attempt to hold her tears, pressing her lips against her daughter's forehead.

"But we don't..."

"You shouldn't be so positive," she murmured. "It'll hurt you more..."

A soft smile rose upon Luca's lips. He shuffled in slightly, reaching out, running his hand upon his wife's cheek.

"The last thing I will ever do is allow a frown to remain on my girls' faces." A blush crept up onto his wife's cheeks. "Your illness was never an obstacle in our relationship, and it never will be. I will do everything in my power to keep a smile on our daughter's face."

(Y/N) slept peacefully between the two, with a gentle curve on her lips.

"As long as I have love inside my heart, you will never have to worry about a thing, my darling." He chuckled quietly. "I promise."

Ilse avoided his gaze, her face red beneath the moonlight. "Okay," she whispered.

To her surprise, (Y/N) began to snuggle into her, flailing as she attempted to wrap her arms around her in her sleep. Her mother immediately pulled her right in.

"Mommy..." (Y/N) murmured.

Ilse glanced up at her husband. He simply watched lovingly.

"I love you, Mommy..." (Y/N) mumbled. "...love you Mommy..."

"I love you too," she replied.

"Love you Mommy."

"I love you too."

"Mommy, you have to reply..."

Her parents' eyes widened simultaneously.

"I don't have friends... I promise... so you have to reply... Please..."

A frown fell upon Ilse's lips.

"I think that's a conversation you need to have with her," her husband spoke. She nuzzled her daughter's head, her eyes narrowed. "She's still stuck on words of the past."

"I will..." she whispered. "Let me wake her up..." Gently, she shook her daughter. "(Y/N), my sweet. Come on."

"No..."

"(Y/N)..."

"Mommy has to reply... Mommy..."

Ilse wrapped her arm around her daughter's back, sitting her up. (Y/N) whined, her eyes fluttering.