The Liaison

Remus apparated in Hogsmeade with a loud popping sound. His knees immediately buckled and he nearly fell, catching himself against the outer wall of the Three Broomsticks. "Ow, Godric!" he swore, and he panicked slightly - had he splinched?

A quick check of everything showed he was all in once piece and he groaned in relief, closing his eyes and sighing.

No, but it had certainly hurt.

That strike from Greyback, when Remus had fallen to his knees at the end of the battle, combined with the effects of the soon-approaching moon... It was one of those mid-mornings when it still hung, nearly transparent, in the sky and Remus winced at it's gibbous state as he pushed himself off from the wall and stepped out of the little close between the Broomsticks and the Owl Post Office.

He was reminded how foolish he'd been to challenge Dumbledore once again. Even if the plan itself had been solid, it was still so wrong of him - irresponsible and selfish - to be taking on such a risk as trying to lead a rescue mission so close to the full moon. His limbs could barely work to get by through his own everyday life, much less to go to battle... He really had put them all in so much danger! He had done alright, sure, and fought Greyback okay considering, but then again Greyback was likely in the same predicament as Remus as far as having pains close to the full moon.

Guilt weighted him as he started walking toward the castle. Every step felt heavy and pain shot from his knee to his shin, sharp as a dagger being plummeted through his bones. 

He was passing the fountain in the center of Hogsmeade when he heard Dumbledore's voice. "Remus, my boy. You should be resting."

Remus turned and suddenly Dumbledore was beside him, his old face appeared haggard and his eyes were brilliantly blue, sad and sunken with exhaustion.

"I had to talk to you," Remus said.

Dumbledore hesitated, then nodded, "I wanted to wait until later... considering everything that has happened now, perhaps it isn't the time to --"

"No, sir, please I have to apologize. I know you said you didn't think I needed to and all that rubbish you said about bravery but --" Remus's voice cracked, "But I'm sorry. I'm sorry and I ought to be. I --"

Dumbledore shook his head. "Come, Remus, walk with me back up to the castle and we shall talk out of the range of hearing ears."

Remus loathed the idea of walking, but he did it just the same, and after a few minutes time, Dumbledore paused. "I know, Mr. Lupin, that you are no longer a boy attending my school - but may I teach you something?"

"Sir?"

Dumbledore held up his wand, then said, "Baculum!" The wand exploded into a sturdy walking stick. He smiled and looked it over. "Wizards of the elder years used that charm quite a lot." He leaned against the staff for a moment, then looked at Remus, "It is how so many muggles came to believe all us wizards are old, wise, bearded, and carry a staff. When really, we simply have bad hips..." he looked at Remus's legs. "Or knees."

Remus flushed, but the took his wand and he shook it like Dumbledore had done. "Baculum!" he said and with a burst, his wand was a staff with a round orb at the top, just the shape of his wand.  As they continued on in a heavy silence, Remus had to admit that it was a lot easier walking with the stick to lean on and Remus murmured, "Thanks, sir."

Dumbledore nodded.

Dumbledore kept a slow pace, for which Remus was thankful for that. They were out of the city proper and on the road toward Hogwarts when Dumbledore finally glanced back over his shoulder and tapped the ground with the staff in his hand. Remus felt a sort of cool breeze wash over him.