She Hasn't Got Your Brass

"I've once dated a girl and got to know her real well, several dates in mind, and there we are in Hogsmeade, walking about, and she suddenly turns to me and calls me John. The girl had been datin' me for a couple weeks and didn't even know my name. T'was about then that I realized she hadn't listened to a thing I was sayin' to her but I was something to have on her arm by way of making another bloke she was really after jealous and I was the only one blind enough not to see it." Sean laughed.

"Oh that's ripe, I hope you obliterated her," Marlene said. "Was it Carly Shaw? That sounds like something Carly Shaw would've done."

"Nar, she was in Slytherin. Not one of the Death-Eatery types, though, like most of'em were. She was normal. Well for the most part, besides usin' a poor Puff like me to make her boyfriend jealous..." Sean shook his head. "And I stayed on datin' her because I was too bloody shy to break it off. I just answered to John 'til she got her real boyfriend and off she went without ever telling me it was off." He paused. "Heard they ended up married, though, so guess if I ever see'em 'round I can be like - oi hey there, I'm what brought them two together, ain't I?"

Marlene laughed, "I suppose that's one way to be optimistic about it."

"Always try to find a bit of optimism in any sitch, that's what I always say."

"Spoken like a true Hufflepuff," Marlene answered.

Sean grinned. "Nothin' wrong with it, isn't there?"

"No. A Slytherin would find a way to break them up. A Gryffindor would slit her throat in her sleep. And a Ravenclaw.. well. We would just make sure we did better and prove they made the wrong choice, even if it was only on the surface." She smirked. "Like screw you for making the wrong choice, I'll go down in flames but I'll look happy about it just to spite you."

"Seems exhaustin'," Sean rumbled, and he threw another chip into his mouth.

"It really is," Marlene said.

"That what you doin' right about now?" Sean asked.

Marlene blinked in surprise. "Come again?"

"That girl upstairs," Sean said, "The wee one with the Twiggy hair."

Marlene's face flushed. "Emmaline Vance?"

Sean nodded. "Somethin' there 'twix the two of you?"

Marlene reached over and took one of his chips. "No."

"Come now... sure - I'm a fair bit dumb but I ain't blind."

Marlene ate the chip.

"You know, I honestly thought she was Marlene, not you, when I walked up."

"No. Really?"

"Aye. I guess maybe I hoped. You're so bleedin' far out of my league, I thought it was impossible your sister would try an' pair us off." He laughed, "I'm guessing Annalee's having a right laugh at our expense somewhere at the mo'. Or at least at my expense."

"Don't worry, I'll hex her nose off when I get home," Marlene promised.

"Oh don't do that, that'd be a right shame."

Marlene raised an eyebrow.

Sean's turn to flush had come and he busied himself in straightening out the chips on his plate.

"I see what's happened."

"What's that?" he asked.

"You like Annalee."

Sean's eyes stayed very, very well trained on his chips.

"You like Annalee and trying to get you off her, she's handed you over to me, knowing I'm a right bitch and I'd scare you off. Oh the brilliance of my sister. She really should've been a Slytherin, she's a conniving --"