Time Out for Being Mouthy

Bradley was staring at the hallway, wide-eyed, kneeling on the couch. Dougal hugged him, invisible, but tangible. Every word Remus and Sirius were yelling could clearly be heard in the living room. Bradley's nose was flared with anxiety as he stared at the hallway.

There was a knock on the door.

He looked at the door, then back at the hallway, then back to the door. Slowly, he slid off the couch and walked across the room, Dougal clinging onto his back. Bradley opened the door slowly, peeking out the crack between the door and the jam.

A girl stood on the stoop, just the same age as him, with hot pink pigtails and bright blue eyes and a red plastic traincase.

She was looking up - expecting a grown up - and had her mouth formed to speak her first word of greeting when she saw Bradley and her mouth shut and she stared at him for a long moment. She paused, her brow furrowing with confusion. "Who're you?"

"I'm Bradley Scamander," Bradley said. "Who are you?"

"Tonks," she replied simply.

"Tonks? What sort of name is Tonks?"

"A good sort," she answered imperially. She tilted her chin up proudly a moment, then returned to her usual posture. "I've never seen you here before. You're new."

"I got here Tuesday," Bradley replied.

"Why?" Tonks asked.

"Why what?"

"Why are you here? Are you adopted?" she tilted her head to one side.

Bradley looked perplexed. "I'm - yeah - but -"

"Oh cool! So you're gonna live with Remus and Sirius now?"

"Only for a little bit," Bradley replied. "My Dad had a heart dragon and he needs to recover because he had muggle surgery, so Mum said I could come live with Remus for a little bit."

Tonks considered this, then, "That sounds cool. What's a heart dragon?"

"A dragon that grew in his heart."

"Like a real one?"

"Yeah," Bradley said. "He named it Pox on account of they weren't sure if it was a real dragon or the dragon pox but it was a real one and now Pox is gonna live in the suitcase with me and the other creatures."

Tonks said, "Neat."

She didn't even think it was weird that he'd mentioned living in a suitcase or anything.

Bradley decided he liked her.

"You wanna come inside?"

"Yeah," Tonks nodded, stepping inside. She put her traincase down. "I'm here to see Sirius."

"Oh, he doesn't feel good and he's angry right now, you should think about coming back another day."

"Angry? About what?"

"I don't know, they're fighting is all I know."

That was the moment when Sirius bellowed out his giant "FUUUUUUCK YOURSELF" and Tonks and Bradley both turned to look at the hallway, then Tonks said, "Yup, he's angry alright!"

"Yeah," Bradley said, frowning. "He's kind of crazy, isn't he?"

"He is not!" Tonks said. Then, "Well, a little, but he's harmless."

That's when there was a loud crack as Sirius busted the dresser drawer in the bedroom.

"Mostly, anyway," Tonks added.