Ordinary

James lay on the couch, legs up on the arm of the sofa, a book on quidditch lay open on his lap.

After the game earlier, he had given Oliver a bunch of books when they'd left, and really had sent off an owl for a monthly copy of Quaffle Talk to be delivered to Fortescue's for Ollie. 

"I could've got him subscribed to it myself, mate," Jasper said to James when Oliver had excitedly bragged that James had signed him up for the magazine. 

"Yeah, but you're already doing so much," James said, "Consider it part of his training."

"Which I'm going to pay you for," Jasper said.

"No you're not," James argued. "I was hired for a price and I'll do my job for the price I was offered." James winked at Oliver, who grinned.

Jasper had sighed and said, "Well, one day, I'm going to repay the favor to you."

"How's that?"

"Free ice creams for mini-Potters," Jasper answered, smiling.

James laughed, "And the mini-Potters will enjoy it profusely."

He smiled now, wondering what flavor ice creams the mini-Potters would ask for and reached up to dog-ear the page of his book so he wouldn't lose his place.

Suddenly Lily's hand slipped over his shoulders from behind. She was bent over, leaning down onto the arm of the couch, her hands on his chest and her cheek pressed to his as she looked at the book he was reading. "Do I have to paint myself gold and grow wings to get you to look at me, Mr. Potter?" she asked.

James thought for a moment. "I mean, would you be willing to do that?"

Lily laughed and kissed his cheek.

"Is that a yes?"

"Maybe for Halloween."

"I can't wait." James grinned and looked up at her as she started to stand up. "Wait," he said, and she bent back down, kissing him, and he smiled, enjoying the taste of her lips.

When she drew back, she stared down into his eyes and said, "We should have a proper date."

"Yeah? When?"

"Soon."

"That new Bond film where he's in space is opening in a couple weeks."

"Okay, yes, but let's have one sooner, too."

"Okay. When?"

"Soon," Lily persisted.

James laughed. He closed the book on his lap, tossing it onto the cushion, and turned so he was kneeling on the couch, facing her. Because she was standing up and he was kneeling, she was taller than he was. "Evans," he said.

"Potter," she giggled because the tone he'd said it in so very much reminded her of his tone in third year.

He cleared his throat, "You can't just say soon and just expect that to be answer enough."

"No?"

"No," James said, "You've got to be more clear so that a bloke knows what he's doing or else you'll have to simply be pleased by whatever it is a bloke tries at doing."

"Oh?"

"Yeah," he said. "So there."

"And what will my bloke do to please me?"

James's lips twitched and his nostrils flared holding back the laugh, then his lips parted and hung up on his tooth and he said, "Evans."

"What? You're the one saying you're going to please me!" Lily said, "All I did was ask what you were going to do." She stared at him with big bright green doe-eyes and pouted her lower lip a bit.