CXXV: The Trace

"Black currant Rowans," Remus said.

Mr. Filch hugged Mrs. Norris to his chest as he watched the gargoyle in front of Albus Dumbledore's office step aside to allow access to the headmaster's quarters. The cat purred loudly as Filch's long fingers dragged over her fur, his suspicious eyes glued on Remus judgmentally. 

"There," Remus announced, looking at Filch with the air of someone having made their point, "As you see, sir, I am capable of making my way to the headmaster's office without your assistance... or do you wish to follow me up to the very door?"

Filch scowled. "Can't be too careful with your kind wandering the halls of the school," he muttered, and he turned and started slouching off down the corridor, dropping Mrs. Norris to the floor gently. The cat paused by one of the suits of armor that lined the hallway, licking her foot primly and watching Remus, even after her owner had cleared the bend. 

"Honestly," Remus murmured, and he ducked through the gap in the stones the gargoyle had uncovered and stepped onto the first of the stairs, which carried him on up in a tight spiral through the tower, higher and higher, before depositing him neatly at the platform landing outside of the office. The usual pair of wellies stood by the door, accompanied this time by a rough-hewn walking stick. 

Remus could hear the headmaster talking through the door, and he hesitated slightly, hand raised to knock, not wanting to interrupt. But then came Dumbledore's voice. "Come in, come in - it does not do to dawdle on doorsteps!"

Remus pushed opened the door. The room was empty save for Dumbledore, who was putting the Sorting Hat back up on a high shelf as Remus entered.

"Ah, good morning, Mr. Lupin," Dumbledore called out, spotting his visitor. He smiled and climbed down from a short step ladder, which he vanished with a quick flick of his wrist. He smiled in a friendly manner. "I was expecting you this morning."

"Expecting me?" Remus said in surprise. "How?" He hadn't told anyone he was considering going to see the headmaster - in fact, he'd only just decided as much the evening before. How Dumbledore could be expecting him --

"I received word from my contacts at the Ministry for Magic yesterday afternoon that you had been registered yesterday morning - and expected to go and finish up your registration today?"

 Remus blinked in surprise, "Yes sir."

"But you've not yet given them the cast of your mouth or been tagged, is that correct?"

"Yes sir," Remus replied, "That's right."

Dumbledore hummed thoughtfully and settled himself into the high backed chair behind the desk, waving for Remus to have a seat. Remus lowered himself into the seat opposite the headmaster gingerly, the seat lower than was comfortable for his knees. Dumbledore smiled benignly. "So was it the promise of the stipend which won you over at last, Mr. Lupin?" his eyes twinkled with jest.

Remus scoffed in response.

Dumbledore leaned back in his seat and sighed.

"Can't you help me, sir? To avoid completing the registration? Being a member of the wizengamot, as powerful as you are, surely there must be --"

"I am afraid there is only so much power that I hold with the Ministry for Magic these days," Dumbledore murmured, "Cornelius Fudge has been getting increasingly obsessed with the sole purpose of finding Sirius Black... and you, my boy, are a key element in the hunt for Sirius in the eyes of the Ministry. Which was why I had hoped that you would have stayed on as a professor here, despite word having... leaked... about your condition."

"Furry little problem," murmured Remus. "But the owls from the parents --"

"I told you then that it was not of a concern to me, but you still gave me your resignation, did you not?"