Work Together

There is nothing longer than the time between visits from healers and mediwitches when you're in the waiting room outside of a critical care unit at a hospital overnight. The clock seemed to stand still more times than Jame could count and his eyes were heavily weighted so that he rocked himself to keep his consciousness in the present as he closed them and counted the ticks of the second hand moving 'round the clock, making sure none of the precious sixty seconds per minute were missed.

Sirius had fallen asleep across Remus's lap, Remus running his fingers along Sirius's spine until he'd dozed off and Remus soon following suit, head bent forward. Peter had gone back to the flat for clothes for Sirius, who had changed into them, and Remus now was wearing Sirius's leather jacket, for he'd been cold. Now, Peter was curled up across a couple chairs, too, a blanket he'd asked Emmaline for wrapped tightly around him like a burrito, though James was certain he could still see Peter shivering. Even Lily had fallen asleep beside James, her head leaning against his side. 

The door of the waiting room creaked opened and he looked up, expecting Emmaline and being surprised to find Frank and Alice Longbottom. James sat up straight, running his hands over his eyes, as though he could wipe away the exhaustion. 

"Hey," Frank said quietly, glancing around at the sleeping forms.

"Hi," James answered.

"We came as soon as we could," Alice whispered. She sank into a crouch on the floor in front of James, looking up at him and holding his hands, her eyes full of merciful concern. Frank summoned over one of the chairs from across the room and sat down there in front of James, too. He looked concerned, too, though with a nervous, sort of helpless look to him. "Are you okay? Have you heard anything?" Alice asked.

James told them what Emmaline had said - how they were keeping an eye on his mum, how things were uncertain, and that Emma had taken an extra shift to stay on Dora's case. Alice frowned and she squeezed James's hands tightly, reassuringly. Frank drew a deep breath. "At least you know who's on it," he said pragmatically.

James nodded. "When Dad got like this --" he stopped and shook his head. "She was fine earlier today." He frowned. "But then again so was Dad... and he was gone by next morning so I don't - I don't know what to think. I'm scared to think."

"I understand," Alice said.

Frank nodded his agreement. They were all quiet a moment and Alice stood up, summoning over a chair also, and they all sat there for several moment in silence... Then Frank cleared his throat and said, "James, I'm going to be honest with you. The reason we know what's on here is because Dumbledore told us. He heard your Mum had been admitted here through the portraits and he summoned Ali and I. We've just come from Hogwarts, from his office."

James looked warily at Frank.

Alice glanced at Peter to her right and then over at Sirius and Remus to the left before she leaned closer and she whispered, "Dumbledore wants us four to work together."

"Work together?" James asked, tilting his head and leaning in, too.

Frank nodded and he, too, leaned far forward so that all three of them were clustered close. A quick flick of the wand with a sound shielding charm from Frank and James knew that anyone outside of the room would be unable to hear them - but even still, Frank and Alice seemed hesitant to be overheard, even by their friends in the room.

"What do you mean work together?" James whispered.

"He mentioned he hasn't spoken with you and Lily yet," Frank said, "And honestly he asked us not to talk to you until he has but --" 

"But that's hippogriff shit!" Alice interrupted, pink-faced. Frank laughed and shook his head. He'd been going to say that he thought it was an awful idea, but of course the little spitfire that was Alice would go right for it being hippogriff shit.