I Solemnly Swear

James followed after Mr. Underhill through the corridors of the Auror Training Center and up into the Atrium of the Ministry for Magic.

The atrium was quite busy considering the time of day, and everyone was dressed rather nicely and James realized that a majority of these visitors were here for the inauguration of the new aurors onto the force. He spotted Augusta Longbottom fairly easily across the way, wearing her large hat with the vulture on top and great black plumes of feathers, and he waved to Alice, who followed after her mother-in-law, dressed in a simple grey sundress which sparkled at the waist and had large black flowers embroidered into the fabric of the skirt. She looked quite beautiful. Behind her, wearing a yellow polka-dotted dress that James had not seen before but very much enjoyed was Lily, carrying a wrapped parcel.

When Alice waved, Lily followed her line of sight to spot James, too, and she smiled, her green eyes glowing with joy at seeing him and she blew him a kiss. He mimed at catching it like a Seeker and he lowered his hand, opened it up, and gave an exaggerated show of surprise, reacting as though her kiss had smacked him in the cheek. She laughed and his lip hitched up on his tooth as he grinned back at her.

"C'mon loverboy," grunted Underhill, who was glowering at James from the other side of the wand-weighing line.

James blushed, waved bye to Lily, and handed over his wand to the wizard on duty, who weighed it and handed over his badge.

The auditorium was down a few levels and had great stone benches that curved in a semi-circle 'round a plinth in the center of the room, where stood a single podium. The inaugural class sat in the lowest two rows, then three rows of Ministry officials, and the remaining four above that were friends and family. "Go on and have a seat, Potter," Underhill pointed to the row and James nodded and broke away as Underhill continued on down the stairs and stepped across the room to the plinth, climbing up and having a seat in one of several chairs there.

James sat directly behind Frank Longbottom, though Frank was engaged in speaking to the person next to him and didn't notice until James leaned forward a bit so he was sure to hear him and said, "Blimey they're lowering the bar for aurors these days, aren't they?"

"Well they let you in the training, so we knew they were on the decline," Frank answered, turning 'round, grinning at James.

"I just spotted Mrs. Longbottom in the Atrium on our way through," James said. "I don't think the task force is the only thing you'll be successfully getting into tonight, if you know what I mean."

Frank's eyes sparkled and he looked about the upper rows, trying to spot Alice.

The auditorium filled up until the benches had no empty seats and some of the officials were forced to stand at the ends of the aisles. Alastor Moody, Barty Crouch Sr., and Harold Minchum arrived then, coming through a door in the side of the room and making their way up to the plinth, each taking seats beside Underhill. Moody leaned over and whispered something to Underhill, who chuckled. James spotted Annalee McKinnon following after them and stepping quietly to one side. She held a small notebook and beside her in the air hung a scroll and a silver quill, which was busily writing dutifully, her lips barely moving, dictating what it was to put to paper. Minchum took the plinth first, stepping up to the podium at the front and the moment he'd assumed his place, the entire auditorium quieted.

Harold Minchum raised his wand to his throat.

"Good afternoon to all in attendance," his voice was low like a lion's as he spoke, looking about the room at the various witches and wizards there. "Today, I have the great honor of our annual inauguration of the latest graduates of the Auror Training Program."

A bit of applause arouse from the spectators, and James clapped Frank on the back heartily.

"These young men and women are among the bravest that the Wizarding World can offer, and today they shall take vows of servitude and allegiance to the Ministry for Magic, for the safety and protection of all citizens of the wizarding world. In times such as these in which we live, when uncertainty creeps upon the door steps of every witch and wizard, it is especially telling of the courage required by these men and women to offer forth their lives in dedication to the defeat of the dark forces which threaten our lives. These - our newest aurors - are truly examples of sort that we wish to fill our ranks with. May your wands be ever powerful - your minds be ever clear - and your hearts ever strong."