Let Me Be Square With You, Kid

"What's the biggest lie you ever told?" 

"I told Marlene once that she looks awful in a particular shade of blue because when she wears it she looks prettier than I do."

Sean laughed loudly and shook his head, "That's diabolical, that is."

"Got my favorite sweater out of the deal." Annalee smirked, then, "In general, any time I don't tell Marlene that she's the absolute knock-out of the family... I'm such a shrew... I'm self conscious and I let her think I'm the pretty one, but really I'd do anything to look more like her."

"Aye, Marlene is beautiful," Sean said, "But I'm glad you look like you - I might be rather biased but I think y'are the pretty one."

Annalee's nose turned pink.

They were sitting in a sandwich shop not far from the Ministry for Magic. Sean worked weekends when there was a good amount of paperwork and he was still copying reports from the Giant Attacks in Ireland that the aurors were putting in. Annalee had come 'round to meet him at noon - something that had become a bit of a daily occurrence for them. They had found a lovely little sandwich shop just a couple blocks from the Auror Training Center's, where Sean's office let out to Muggle London by the Embankment, and they'd quickly become regulars in a table in the corner.

Sean would get crisps and a sandwich and Annalee would just get a sandwich and steal Sean's crisps from his plate. He never mentioned it, but he thought it was adorable and he started quietly buying two bags of crisps and dumping them onto his plate so she didn't know he was planning on her eating all his crisps. Over the two weeks they'd been doing this, he learned she preferred the Walker's salt and vinegar flavor to the cheese and onion and although he preferred cheese and onion it was salt and vinegar that had found its way onto his plate each day since he'd made the discovery.

They were learning a lot about one another in that sandwich shop, one question at a time.

"Who was your hardest crush back at Hogwarts, Sean?" Annalee asked.

Sean sipped his cola and leaned back in his seat. "Well," he mused.

"Sean?" Annalee teased, kicking his foot under the table.

Sean laughed. "Ahhh I d'know," he flushed bright red and looked away, "Some... some girl... I don't remember who..."

Annalee laughed. "It was me, huh?"

Sean grinned down at the plate of crisps to avoid eye contact. "Dunno. Possibly."

Annalee's smile shone so brightly, he couldn't get enough of it. She was so pleased, it made his stomach flip several times over. "Was it really though?" she trilled, "You must've only barely had any idea I existed, surely."

Sean stared at her for a long moment, then said, "I thought you were amazin' - since second year."

"Second year!" she laughed.

He nodded solemnly. "I remember layin' in me bed and talkin' to Marty Jenkins and him sayin' to me one night, oi, who d'ya reckon is the prettiest girl in the whole bloody school? And my answer? It was always you."

Annalee shook her head.

"Course Marty was tryin' to figure out a look for himself at the time." 

"Y'mean Maryrose, yeah?" Annalee asked gently.

Sean paused, then, "I suppose I'm supposed to say she and herself and Maryrose, yes, but it's so bloody hard remember. Not on account of me not approvin' or anythin' of the sort - Mar-- Maryrose  -- can be whoever she's wantin' to be... it's just when you call somebody one thing years an' years before it changes suddenly; it'd be like callin' the day night and the sky ground and it's all different and upside down in my head. Ain't no excuse o'course, but I really don't mean to do it." Sean stared down at the crisps left on his plate.