I'll Do It

"I'll do it."

James turned and stared at Jasper Odair in surprise, a stare that was mirrored by Mr. Underhill's.

Jasper didn't even look up. He was so concentrated on Michael, who was hugging onto Jasper's neck, that he had just made the biggest life choice he'd ever made without so much as glancing up...

It was some time in the mid-afternoon, they were back at Underhill's office, and James and Underhill had been discussing what to do next when Jasper said it.

Following the absolute chaos of the street in West London, once Moody's auror team had descended and begun the work of reparations, Underhill looked about, a bit of fire in his eyes. "We've got some sorting to do before this gets presented formally to Moody, I reckon," Underhill had grumbled, yanking the still half-stunned looking James Potter over to where the kids were huddled about Jasper. "Well get the kids out of here, too - two birds and an excuse to give Al when he asks why we left the scene. Come on, the lot of you..." He looked at the five kids. Two to you, Potter, two to me, and Odair, you can side-along with one, can't you?"

Jasper nodded.

Underhill lifted Eli off the pavement, hoisting the small boy and his turtle onto his hip. "You best be holding onto that turtle lad," he said gently. "You.." he nodded at Kevin. "You come with me. James, you take those two --"

When he'd divvied out the kids - he said, "Westminster close. See you there." And off he went, disappearing with two kids and a turtle.

Jasper took a deep breath, taking hold on Nathan's hand. "Here we go," and off he went.

Oliver and Michael stood on the pavement next to James. Oliver looked at Michael, then turned to James. "Is she - Mrs. Jennings, I mean - is she --?"

James looked at Oliver solemnly. "She's not going to hurt you again."

Oliver nodded.

James took their hands and in a second they were on the pavement in the close behind Westminster. A little garden area in the center of the parish, gated of off from the main road specifically for travel by disapparation between the embankment entrance to the Auror Training Center for large groups that included muggles. Underhill stood a few paces away, holding Eli, who was crying in surprise by the feeling of the disapparation, Kevin looking perplexed and a bit seasick as Underhill knelt and let Eli stand on the grass.

"It's alright, you wee thing," Underhill was saying under his breath, a palm on Eli's shoulder. "I'm sorry I didn't give you proper warning."

Eli sniffled, "You scared Yertle."

Underhill looked at the turtle. "I am very, very sorry Yertle. Please forgive me."

Eli looked at Yertle, who was kicking and then back to Underhill "He says you're forgiven."

Underhill replied, "I'm very glad to hear of it. A very noble turtle indeed." Underhill stood up. "Alright, come on, let's get to my ofice and we'll talk about what the --" he mouthed the words "bloody fucking hell" here -- is going on."

James couldn't help but feel amused at the care Underhill was taking with the children. It was weird, seeing his gruff boss being a softie like he was being toward Eli especially - without ever changing his tone. It made James sort of see him a bit different, in spite of the strain that had been on their relationship in the past. Perhaps, James dared to think, Underhill came off a bit strong, like a cup of tea steeped too long.

They'd made it to Underhill's office and Jasper had sat in the corner on the floor, distracting the boys while James briefed Underhill on everything Jasper had told him a second time, even though they'd been over it quickly before when they'd come to fetch him, and what he himself had seen of Mrs. Jennings before they'd left.