Sirius Black and Those Damn Birds

Sirius and James were excitedly moving through the training center, punching at each other and jumping about in celebration. Sirius was hooting and hollering about spending the entire afternoon outdoors and James suggested a long walk along the embankment. They were so caught up with their celebrations that they nearly ran directly into Mad-Eye Moody and Albus Dumbledore in the hall of floos.

"Congratulations, Mr. Black, on your victory and freedom," Dumbledore said jovially upon seeing Sirius there in the corridor. "I am most honored to have been witness to such a compelling trial, with such favorable results."

Sirius smiled, "Thank you sir. I'm honored you came."

"It is a part of my job as a member of the wizengamot, Sirius," Dumbledore replied. He pulled a bag of lemon drops from his pockets and held the bag out to Siris and James, "Lemon drop?"

"No thank you, sir," Sirius replied as James shook his head, not meeting Dumbledore's eyes.

Dumbledore looked curiously at James as he tucked the bag away, "Very well then." He sighed heavily, "I do wish I could talk longer - to catch up - but I do have quite a lot happening back at the castle at the moment... It seems I've yet another Defense Against the Dark Arts position to fill this year..."

"What happened to this year's professor?" Sirius asked, "Dead, quit, or elsewise sacked?"

"It seems he was preparing for the final exams and he was led away into the Forbidden Forrest by a hinkypunk... Professor Kettleburn has been searching for him, but we've not yet located the dear man... and unfortunately the Ministry is requiring I name his replacement as quickly as possible."

"Damn those hinkypunks," Sirius muttered.

Dumbledore nodded, "And in addition to the robbery of my Defense professor, it seems I'm also in need of a temporary flying instructor and Quidditch referee as Madam Hooch has been selected to assist in setting up a Quidditch program at Uagadou."

"In Africa?" James asked, speaking for the first time, surprise clear in his tone. "Madam Hooch is going to Africa?"

"Yes, Mr. Potter," Dumbledore said, "The headmaster at Uagadou mentioned to me that the students there were terribly interested in learning more about Quidditch, having seen footage from the most recent World Cup and they wanted to start a quidditch program at the school this year, but were unsure how to go about preparing for such a thing. Upon talking with Madam Hooch, we determined that this was an excellent opportunity for Hogwarts and Uagadou to strengthen ties and our dear flight instructor has volunteered to go and assist Headmaster Namazzi in setting up the program."

"That's so cool," James said.

Dumbledore smiled, "It is indeed cool, Mr. Potter." 

They bid each other farewell, then, Dumbledore congratulating Sirius once again, and then disappearing through the floo network, headed back to his office at Hogwarts.

Mad-Eye Moody congratulated Sirius as well, and lumbered off back to his own office down the corridor.

"Wonder what Uagadou is like," James said.

"Dunno," Sirius answered.

They got their powder and chucked it into the floo, disappearing off to the Potter Cottage in Godric's Hollow so that James could change before they went and informed Remus Lupin of the win.

Remus and Bradley were in the kitchen when they heard the sound of a barking dog outside.

The shaggy black dog was sitting on the park bench across the road next to the lean form of James Potter, changed into a t-shirt and jeans, leaning back and grinning up at the kitchen window, through which he could just see Remus Lupin's curious face peering out. He waved.