James Potter and the Mooncalves

James was laying on the couch, his head in Lily's lap, legs up over the arm of the couch, hands held up over his chest, loops of wool wrapped about his fingers and palms, head turned and watching the telly as it flashed.

"VROOM? Mate, this bird wouldn't vroom if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!"

"No no! 'Es pining!"

"'Es not pinin'! 'Es passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushin' up the daisies! 'is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffed off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!"

James was laughing, his eyes squinted up. "An ex-parrot," he wheezed, legs kicking with amusement.

Lily looked at Dora, smirking, and Dora laughed and reached over and patted James's hair as he wiped tears of mirth from his eyes under his glasses. 

The hearth of the fireplace lit and through the green flames came Remus Lupin, carrying Newt Scamander's suitcase. He stood at the hearth, taking in the scene before him. "I'm learning how to knit," Lily said, answering his unasked question. She held up her needles and beamed. She looked at James, "I need a yarn bowl."

"I'm apparently a yarn bowl," James supplied.

"Hullo Remus," Dora said, smiling.

"Monty Pythion," James said, gesturing with his chin at the telly. "It's an Ex-Parrot."

"An ex-parrot? What?" Remus looked thoroughly confused.

James was chuckling. 

Remus plopped the suitcase on the table. "I was hoping you lot could do me and Sirius a solid favor?"

"Of course we can, what's the matter?" Lily asked.

"We've been having a rather much-needed series of very serious conversations --"

"Every conversation Sirius has is a sirius conversation," James supplied.

"Ha, you're so funny, I forgot to laugh," Remus said dryly. "As if I haven't heard that joke thirty-seven million times before."

James grinned, "Ah, but have you heard it tonight?"

"Not outloud, but I'm sure he thought it at least thrice," Remus answered. "Anyway - we need a, erm, evening of reconnecting. Would you lot be able to watch Bradley for me for the night? We'kl come collect him back in the morning."

Lily's eyes brightened, "Yes!" she said eagerly.

James said, "The queen has spoken."

Dora smirked into her knitting and stayed silent.

"Alright, brilliant," Remus said. "In that case, he's just reading some comics in his room in the house in the case and he'll pop out soon enough when his belly starts rumbling - I'm going to just -" he pointed at the floo. "Sirius is... waiting for me."

James sang out, "Bow-chica-bow-bow."

Remus flushed very red as Lily smacked James's arm as he laughed loudly.

"What James means to sat is have a good evening," Lily said, rolling her eyes at him.

"Yes, a very good evening," James snickered.

"James Charlus Fleamont Potter," warned Dora.

James looked up, "Mum, c'mon, I'm just wishing the man a good evenin'."