Just A Note

Harper’s Point of View

Madeline left a note; that was all. No call, text or anything. I hate when she does this. She is popular for just leaving a note and going on her way like it’s nothing. But hell yes, leaving like that, is something. I sighed of frustration, crumbling the note into a ball and tossing it into the bin by my closet door.

McDonald’s bags were still lying around, reminding me of last night. I began picking the trash up, but hesitated when I heard my phone start going off; I must have a reminder. I picked up the phone, checking it.

I squealed, seeing that the reminder was about going to a club to see my crush’s band perform. Jai, the guy I absolutely adore, plays the drums; he’s very good at it as well. I know he liked to play them since he is always drumming everywhere he is. Jai is the shy type of boy, who can also be loud and crazy at sometimes. He’s more of Madeline’s friend, but someday that will change. He always gets this big smiling expression when I come around, which I love. Tonight will be the night I will get to talk to him and see if he likes me, I kept telling myself.

Before I sat my phone down, I thought for a second if I should call Madeline and check on her. My finger hesitated above the call button, but another part of my brain kept screaming me. Shouldn’t she be the one to call? I shrugged in response to myself, about to exit out of contact list before I read Jai’s contact name.

I bit my lip, building up twenty seconds of courage as I hit the call button, awaiting his voice. It came too soon, I realized, as he answered on the third ring. “This is Jai.”

I smiled, pacing my room. “Hey, Jai. It’s Harper. I was just calling to tell you I’m going to come tonight.”

I didn’t hear a response for a second which made my heart sink. “Hey, Harper! I was wondering when you were going to call me.”

I screamed in excitement on the inside as heat rose to my cheeks into a blush. “Really?”

Jai chuckled, “yeah. Well, I think that’s great you decided to come tonight! And now I have to excuse myself unfortunately because band practice is about to start, and I really have to go.” My heart sang again.

“Oh, it’s totally fine.” I tell him. Lie.

“I’m so sorry, Harper,” you could tell he was really sorry; his voice was sincere. “I can’t wait to see you later.” Jai hung up then, without another word. I clutched my phone for a second as a jolt of excitement through me.

I grabbed some shorts and a pink blouse, knowing it’ll probably be crowded and hot in this club. Jai always talks about the big crowds gathering to hear his band; they must be pretty sick.

<3<3

Jai’s band was half way into a song when I arrived, making my way through the crowd. The singer girl looked familiar, but I doubt I’d know her. Madeline was more of the girl who remembered every face for me. I rolled my eyes at myself knowing I should get over the fact Madeline left for London without a reason.

My smile grew bigger as I saw Jai on the drum set, biting his lip. Crowds of girl were squealing around me annoyingly, but I really didn’t know why; it’s not like we’re at a One Direction concert. Once again, I thought about how Madeline should be right beside me right now, instead of these crazy girls who looked like they were at least twelve. Why are there underage girls here? Jesus Christ.

The singer ended the song up, saying a few words before starting the next intro to another. “Have you ever had that someone that stabbed you in the back or rejected you, or did something totally horrible and left you? This song is for those douchebags,” she smirked. “I just want you to put up your middle fingers and dance to this song showing everyone we don’t a give fuck.