Chapter 74

After changing their outerwear, Ren Chenxi and Mu Ning checked themselves for any abnormalities. Once they confirmed everything was fine, they walked together towards Mu Ning's small car parked farther out on the beach. Mu Ning, with both hands injured, couldn't drive back to the base, so Ren Chenxi reluctantly took the role of the driver.

Upon getting into the car, Ren Chenxi noticed another problem – the remaining fuel in the small car was barely enough to make it back to the base. Mu Ning, seeing the low fuel level on the dashboard, explained that she borrowed the car in a hurry, and Qu Sheng's subordinate who lent it had warned about the low fuel. However, Mu Ning was focused on reaching the beach quickly and didn't pay much attention to the fuel warning.

Despite the insufficient fuel, they managed to make it to the beach with the car. Mu Ning mentioned how Qu Sheng had complained about the car needing fuel when they bought the crystal core engine. Now, with the crystal core engine, they weren't too concerned about the car's fuel level. Mu Ning, aware of  Ren Chenxi's surplus of gasoline, asked about Ren Chenxi's greasy cards.

"Um... how many of those greasy cards do you have left?" Mu Ning asked, looking at Ren Chenxi with a half-smile.

"143," replied Ren Chenxi.

"Ah, quite a lot..." Mu Ning remarked, realizing it was more than she had imagined. "Can we use them?"

"...Yes."

What else could they do? It wasn't feasible to rely on the remaining fuel to drive back to the base. Leaving Mu Ning behind and returning alone with the off-road vehicle was not an option either. Glancing at the white bandages in Mu Ning's hands, Ren Chenxi didn't consider herself heartless enough to do that. Well, at least she had plenty of greasy cards.

Unable to do anything else, Ren Chenxi had to drive the small car with little fuel into the vast forest outside the beach. They encountered 12 zombies wandering around and used 12 greasy cards, resulting in 12 bottles of universal gasoline. After adding 5 bottles of gasoline to Qu Sheng's borrowed car, Ren Chenxi kept the remaining gasoline as a backup. Mu Ning mentioned that the bus was running low on fuel, so the 7 bottles of gasoline, along with the 8 bottles obtained from the crabs on the beach, would be used for the bus later.

When Ren Chenxi and Mu Ning returned to the base, Zhang Tongqi and Chen Gu were anxiously waiting at the entrance. Seeing Ren Chenxi driving the small car, the excitement of Jian Dan and the others caught their attention first. From their perspective, they could clearly see Ren Chenxi in the driver's seat.

Seeing Jian Dan and the others rushing towards a small car, Chen Gu and the rest followed suit. Upon seeing Mu Ning in the passenger seat, they were relieved and excited, rushing forward like they had found their backbone. However, Mu Ning, anticipating their concern, didn't expect them to be waiting at the base entrance. Before they could inquire about the bandage on her hand, Mu Ning coldly reprimanded them.

"Why are so many of you blocking the base entrance? Afraid that others wouldn't know I didn't go on the mission with you and haven't returned with you?" Mu Ning scolded.

"Sorry, boss..."

After Mu Ning's reprimand, Zhang Tongqi and the others realized their conspicuous behavior. Though unaware of where the boss and Ren Chenxi went, it was evident they didn't want others to know.

"But Boss, don't worry. When someone asked us what we were waiting for, we just said we encountered a level 6 wild boar during the hunt, but it got away. You found the bus too slow and obstructive, so you went back to the base to borrow a car to chase the boar again. We were left behind, and since you hadn't returned for a while, we got worried and waited at the entrance," explained Chen Gu, displaying unexpected cleverness. Ren Chenxi raised an eyebrow in surprise at Chen Gu's quick thinking.