Chapter 15

At noon, after Jian Dan had a simple meal consisting of water and compressed biscuits, she relieved Huo Keyu from driving to allow her to eat and rest. They knew they were close to H City, and despite the drowsiness that had begun to set in, the girls were now alert, keeping their eyes fixed on the road ahead.

The group of zombies behind them had been left far behind, and Ren Chenxi was focused on keeping an eye on the front. As they approached H City, she noticed a significant traffic jam ahead, which immediately put her on high alert.

"Jian Dan, slow down. There are a lot of cars up ahead. Let's approach slowly and see what's happening."

"Sure, Ren Chenxi."

The large size of the bus made it hard to go unnoticed by the drivers of the cars in front. Fortunately, most of those cars had yellow markers. One kind driver noticed the approaching bus and yelled out, "Don't come any closer! The road ahead has collapsed. You need to find an alternative route!"

With this warning, other cars began reversing to make way for the bus. They realized that there was a massive section of road that had caved in, with steep cliffs on either side. There was indeed no way forward but to find an alternative route.

"Are you headed to H City? No way through here, it's all collapsed. You'll have to find another way around."

Another car passed by the bus window, shouting to Ren Chenxi and her companions.

As the cars in front continued to reverse, Ren Chenxi and her group got a clear view of the collapsed road. It was an extensive area that had collapsed, and there was no option but to find an alternative route. They had been so close to reaching H City, but this sudden obstacle meant they would have to take a detour.

Perhaps it was the anticipation of arriving in H City soon that made the sudden roadblock frustrating. Due to this incident, it was uncertain if they would be able to reach H City by the end of the day. However, the drivers were too preoccupied with their own concerns to engage in conversation with the girls on the bus. Most of them left without a word. This was typical behavior in the post-apocalyptic world. If you meant no harm to others, you'd keep to yourself and go your own way.

Jian Dan furrowed her brow as she flipped through the map and suggested to Ren Chenxi that they should take a shortcut through the forest to avoid the collapsed road on the left side of the mountain. This way, they wouldn't need to detour to another highway, and it might be faster to reach H City.

Ren Chenxi examined the map and confirmed that Jian Dan's proposed route was the shortest, although it might not necessarily be the fastest. After all, in the two years of the apocalypse, mutated plants had grown wildly, and the forest was inhabited by more aggressive and dangerous mutated animals. So, despite being the shortest route, it also had its risks. Ren Chenxi took a look at her backpack filled with cards, bit her lip, and nodded, saying, "Alright, let's go through the forest, but be prepared for potential dangers!"

With her remaining card draws, only three Flash cards and two Burst cards were left. She also had seven Grease cards. However, Ren Chenxi had no intention of using them to synthesize an R card. These Grease cards were valuable for causing fast enemies to slip and increasing their chances of escaping.

Other cards she didn't currently need included the "Sleight of Hand" cards, and Ren Chenxi chose to synthesize only one "Shape-Shifting" card, leaving her with three "Sleight of Hand" cards. In this harsh post-apocalyptic world, where everyone was struggling to survive, Ren Chenxi felt no malice from her fellow survivors, and thus, she didn't want to use the "Sleight of Hand" cards on them.

After making her decisions, Ren Chenxi decided to take the risk and head through the forest. If it turned out to be an impassable route, they could always backtrack.