Chapter 45

"Because there are 7th-tier mutated creatures in the sea," Mu Ning's casual remark dispelled the beautiful fantasy of several girls about seafood.

"In fact, besides the 7th-tier mutated giant octopus we've encountered, other mutated creatures in the sea are very dangerous!" Sun Jia added considerately, "Any humans, even mutants, attempting to pick up seafood by the seaside, end up becoming food for those seafood."
After the apocalypse, the whole world underwent earth-shattering changes, and the ocean was no exception. The vast and mysterious ocean harbored more unknown dangers than the land, and the mutated marine creatures after the apocalypse evolved even more rapidly than land animals.

On land, besides mutated beasts, there were also zombies, mutants, and ordinary humans with formidable combat capabilities. While these different races competed and fought with each other, the rulers of the ocean were constantly devouring other marine life. Without the interference of humans, zombies, and other mutated beasts, marine life evolved at an unimaginable speed. For example, when the highest-level mutants in the base were only at the 5th tier, the ocean already had high-level mutated creatures reaching the 7th tier.

The giant octopus was just one of them. According to Sun Jia's speculation, in such a vast sea area like the South China Sea, with so many marine creatures, there must be more than one mutated creature reaching the 7th tier. It's just that, in their Left Ning Town's sea area, along with the beach, it should all be claimed as the territory of that 7th-tier mutated octopus. Successfully advancing to a higher tier, the giant octopus, although larger in size, was more agile and powerful with its eight tentacles, able to move from deep sea to shallow sea and even rush onto the beach. After preying on humans attempting to pick up seafood on the beach, it could easily return to the ocean.

Once, there was a highly powerful team of mutants in the base, with each member having a mutant level of 4 or above. One 4th-tier mutant in the team was even stronger than the base leader Qi Sheng, who was also at the 4th tier at that time. So, this team, relying on what they believed to be formidable strength, ventured to the seaside. In their view, even if they didn't have the strength to fight a 7th-tier octopus, they should be able to escape, right? So, before the octopus attacked them on the beach, they could pick a basket of seafood to satisfy their cravings, right?

However, the result was the complete annihilation of this powerful team of 18 ability users, and not a single person returned. No one knew what kind of attack these 18 people suffered on the beach that led to all of them being caught in the tentacles of the octopus and none of them escaping.

Of course, there were other survivors who managed to escape from the clutches of the octopus monster. It was thanks to one fortunate survivor that the rest of the base learned about the existence of a 7th-tier octopus monster in the sea. Previously, the disappearances of ability users who went to the seaside made everyone suspect the presence of dangerous marine creatures, possibly of 5th or 6th tier. Who could have imagined that hidden in the sea was a high-tier octopus monster!

Even though everyone later knew about the 7th-tier mutated octopus near Left Ning Town, there were still many daring mutants or hungry ordinary people who continued to use their lives as a wager, venturing to the beach. In their view, no matter how powerful the octopus was, it couldn't be lurking in the shallow sea near the beach at all times. It should be attracted by other creatures in the sea, leaving the beach and returning to the deeper parts of the ocean.

If they bet right, they could have a considerable harvest. Once, a lucky team of ordinary people and ability users brought back three large baskets of fresh seafood. Moreover, they also harvested hundreds of crystals, mostly 1st and 2nd-tier crystals. According to them, after the tide receded, many crawling giant crabs on the beach were mostly 1st and 2nd-tier mutated crabs. These crabs were easily dealt with by 3rd-tier ability users, as long as their giant claws were disabled. As for other shell-like mutated organisms on the beach, they were even less formidable. Their only mutation was a hard shell, and anyone without ability could deal with them using an iron shovel or a machete once their shells were overturned.