Chapter 49

With Ren Chenxi's backpack helping, the girls' move was actually quite fast. The main trouble came with the subsequent task of tidying up and decorating the rooms. After all, it was the place they would be living in for the foreseeable future, so it was essential to arrange it according to their preferences and comfort.

Considering Sun Jia's weak health, the girls unanimously decided to let Mu Ning, Sun Jia, and the others stay on the second floor. Ren Chenxi, Jian Dan, and the trio, along with Huo Keyu, would stay on the third floor. The older girls from S University would stay on the fourth floor.

Each floor had four rooms and a common area. If the number of people exceeded the available rooms, they would either share a room or partition the common area into additional rooms. However, over the past two years in this post-apocalyptic world, Jian Dan and the S University students were accustomed to communal living. Originally, they thought that after arriving at the South Sea Base, they would likely be squeezing into classrooms. Unexpectedly, they got a "villa" for free, even though it was only one floor. It was still quite good!

However, while organizing their rooms, Jian Dan and the others encountered a problem. While helping Zhang Tongqi and the others move, Jian Dan and the others only assisted in packing small items. As for large furniture, Ren Chenxi had stuffed everything into her backpack. When they helped bring the belongings to the new building and the girls returned to their respective rooms to tidy up, they suddenly realized that they were missing the most crucial piece of furniture — beds!

Well, in the post-apocalyptic world, beds weren't that crucial, and Jian Dan and the others had become accustomed to sleeping on the ground. But now, they each had their own room! Having a space of their own, even if it was extravagant to request a bed, wasn't it reasonable?

So, the girls gathered on the second floor again, helping Zhang Tongqi and the others while subtly inquiring about where to buy beds within the base.

Hearing that the girls wanted to buy beds, Sun Jia, who hadn't been busy due to her injury and weakness, gave them several good suggestions. The most cost-effective method, which required no money, was to find abandoned metal frames and assemble a bed themselves. Many beds in the base were assembled in this way. Metal frames weren't hard to find, especially with ongoing construction in the base; one could easily find discarded frames at construction sites. However, assembling metal frame beds was tricky and required some technical skills. If not done properly, the bed might make squeaky noises at night or, in severe cases, collapse.

Upon hearing that they had to assemble the beds themselves, and considering the associated troubles, the girls hurriedly inquired about other options that involved spending money. Since they were willing to spend, Sun Jia offered them a more affordable suggestion: go outside the base, cut down some wood, and then ask the base's carpenters for help. In fact, not just beds, but other furniture as well. As long as they provided the materials and paid a small fee to the carpenters, they could get furniture made. Most of the furniture they currently used was crafted with the help of the base's carpenters. Though not aesthetically pleasing, they were sturdy and durable.

Hearing Sun Jia's advice, the girls also felt it was better to go and cut down wood themselves and seek the help of carpenters. After all, it was the post-apocalyptic world, where plants and trees were growing wildly outside. As for cutting wood and the subsequent sanding of wooden boards, the group of guys led by Chen Gu, as well as the strength-type ability users, could help. They also had suitable tools. While the girls enthusiastically discussed going to chop down trees tomorrow and making do with sleeping on the floor for today, Ren Chenxi casually passed by and dropped a remark.

"Do you really need to go through so much trouble? I have plenty of beds!"

"!!!" The group of girls turned their heads to look at Ren Chenxi.