Chapter 6

After the game update, Ren Chenxi could see the zombie's information and health bars. However, despite the perfectly placed kitchen knife sticking in the zombie's brain, the creature didn't lose a single drop of health. That zombie had one tough skull.

Faced with such a tough zombie, Ren Chenxi was initially disappointed for a few seconds but then reopened the game panel. She remembered the notification sounds that played when she opened the game's grand package. So, there must be something else she had overlooked besides the skill advancement book.

After carefully reviewing all the features in the game panel, Ren Chenxi finally found the newly added functions. She clearly remembered that she had never seen these two functions before the game update. Moreover, the "Card Center" and the "Apocalypse Store," not to mention the Card Center, the Apocalypse Store, were evidently prepared for players surviving in the apocalypse.

As for the Card Center, Ren Chenxi looked at the cards in the draw pool, including things like the Critical Hit Card, Shapeshift Card, Explosion Card... These were not cards that could be casually used in peaceful times, right?

Ren Chenxi only glanced briefly at the card draw pool because, compared to those cards, she was more concerned about what items the Apocalypse Store would have for sale. However, when she entered the store with hope in her heart and then exited, her heart was filled with disappointment.

The reason for this was simple – the items in the Apocalypse Store were incredibly expensive! The various weapons that Ren Chenxi wanted were indeed plentiful in the store, ranging from cold weapons to firearms and heavy weaponry she didn't even dare to dream of. However, the endless stream of zeros behind those price tags made Ren Chenxi's heart grow cold.

The in-game currency in the game system was crystal stones, and they could be obtained by exchanging crystal nuclei. Without even needing to check item information, Ren Chenxi, who had read many post-apocalyptic novels, knew that these crystal nuclei must have grown in the brains of zombies. According to the store's user guide, Ren Chenxi learned that 1st-level zombie brain nuclei could be exchanged for 1 crystal stone, 2nd-level nuclei for 10 crystal stones, 3rd-level nuclei for 100 crystal stones, and so on: 4th-level nuclei could be exchanged for 1000 crystal stones, and 5th-level nuclei for 10000 crystal stones.

So, in order to purchase those outrageously expensive weapons in the store, all she needed to do was kill a 9th-level zombie. But... if she had the ability to kill a 9th-level zombie, did she really need those ridiculously expensive weapons from the store? She thought it would be more practical to exchange for some essential everyday items! After all, those practical everyday items were also quite expensive!

After exiting the post-apocalyptic store, Ren Chenxi returned to the card center. The card center was mainly divided into two parts: card drawing and card synthesis. Compared to the outrageously expensive post-apocalyptic store, the card center seemed much more user-friendly. While the cost of drawing cards was still high, with each draw requiring 1000 crystal stones, card synthesis and upgrading didn't consume crystal stones. Furthermore, whether you did a single draw or a 10x draw, you were guaranteed to receive a card of Rare (R) rarity or higher.

More importantly, the card center offered five free draw opportunities every day, refreshing every 10 minutes, and resetting the count at midnight. Look at that! You got free chances compared to your outrageously expensive store!

As the saying goes, when there's a bargain, take advantage of it. Ren Chenxi immediately carried out one draw and obtained an N-class card – "Greasy Card"...

Upon seeing the Greasy Card, the first images that came to Ren Chenxi's mind were those overly dramatic, oily male actors from TV shows, and she couldn't help but display the "subway grandpa looking at his phone" expression.