Chapter 40

"Poison... Poisoning?" Ren Chenxi's words quieted the entire room. Even in Ren Chenxi's arms, Blanket sensed the solemn atmosphere and stopped purring.

"You mean... Sun Jia's poison is related to Fan Xue Chang?"

"More precisely, it's addiction! I suspect Fan Xue Chang's poison smoke ability not only induces poisoning but also addiction!" Without giving everyone a moment to digest the information, Ren Chenxi dropped another bombshell.

"Addiction? What's your basis for this?" While everyone was still shocked and didn't know how to manage their expressions, Mu Ning, with an indifferent face, continued to question coldly.

"..." Fed up with this woman, her basis is that she can see the debuffs of these NPCs!

But she couldn't answer like that! Ren Chenxi pulled the corners of her mouth, smiling falsely, and fabricated, "Firstly, I observed the similarity between Sun Jia's complexion and Fan Xue Chang, who uses drugs. Secondly, it's the wound on Sun Jia's arm. In theory, the physical condition of an ability user should be better than that of an ordinary person, with good recovery abilities. Moreover, you've used quite a few medicinal supplies on Sun Jia. However, her injuries never seem to heal and worsen. Earlier, I heard Zhang Tongqi say that Sun Jia's wound always reopened. So, I boldly guessed, could it be that Sun Jia was exposed to Fan Xue Chang's poison smoke, developed an addiction, and in her confused state, she tore the wound open to resist the addiction?"

Hearing Ren Chenxi's speculation, the faces of all the girls in the room turned even worse. At this moment, a weak voice spoke, "Yes, but not entirely correct."

Surprisingly, it was Sun Jia, who had awakened on the bed at some point. She smiled at Ren Chenxi, a person who seemed so gentle on the surface but revealed a resilient character beneath.

"When the addiction flares up, I'm not confused; I'm clear-headed. I tear open my wounds, not in a delirium, but to use the pain to suppress the... addiction."

As Sun Jia finished speaking, Wu Tong cried and rushed to Sun Jia's bedside, crying and blaming her, "Little Jia! Why don't you tell us? You have to go through all this... tearing open your perfectly healed wounds... How painful must it be..."

Zhang Tongqi, with red eyes, stared at Sun Jia angrily. "Little Jia! Why didn't you tell us about such a big thing? Are we not your friends anymore?"

"No, it's not..." Sun Jia soothingly touched Wu Tong's head with her left hand, then looked at Mu Ning before turning to Zhang Tongqi. "It's because I consider you all as friends that I didn't want you to know about this."

"Why?" Mu Ning asked coldly.

"Because I don't want to be controlled by Fan Xue Chang's poison smoke, using it to threaten you into compromising with him. I wanted to try relying on my own willpower to quit the poison. But... it got harder as time went on."

In Sun Jia's low, weak yet gentle voice, everyone finally understood the sequence of events. In fact, on the second day after Sun Jia got injured saving someone, Mu Ning, along with Chen Gu and Zhang Tongqi, went to Dong Ting early in the morning to ask for medicine. However, they were met with various excuses and flat-out refusals to provide any medicine. But in the afternoon, Fan Xue Chang arrived with his friends, claiming to apologize. Although it was supposed to be an apology, there was no sincerity. They brought medicine but refused to give it directly to Mu Ning, subtly suggesting that if she wanted the medicine, she had to become Fan Xue Chang's girlfriend.

Chen Gu got angry and immediately punched one of Fan Xue Chang's lackeys nearest to him, leading to a fight breaking out. The brawl happened right outside Mu Ning's door, even though Fan Xue Chang had brought medicine to apologize. Still, Mu Ning and her friends refused to let Fan Xue Chang and his lackeys into the room. Fortunately, they didn't let them in because the fight escalated, preventing any damage to the valuable vegetables in their villa, especially those rare in the apocalypse.