Chapter 39

Watching the duo, one human and one cat, hugging intimately and exchanging not only soft "meows" but also constant praises like "Blanket, you're amazing!" and "Blanket, you're so impressive!" Mu Ning couldn't help but feel sour.

She had just hinted so much about how well she treated this little cat, not expecting excessive gratitude, just hoping for a slightly better attitude in the future. But what happened? This person completely ignored her words about providing good food, drinks, and a comfortable nest for Blanket, only latching onto the fact that Blanket was a mutant cat. Was it that, in her eyes, only the cat mattered?

Coldly glaring at Ren Chenxi and Blanket, when Mu Ning saw the bright smile on Ren Chenxi's face, she froze. At that time, Ren Mu Hui also had such a smile, happy, proud, like presenting a treasure, wanting to introduce Blanket to her. Perhaps, Blanket was truly Ren Mu Hui's treasure? And at that time, Ren Mu Hui, as long as there was something good, would hurry to present it to her.

But unfortunately...

That bright smile, ultimately froze and dissipated in an instant because of her words. In its place were sadness? Grief? And more emotions that Mu Ning couldn't discern...

Mu Ning greedily stared at Ren Chenxi's rare smile, feeling more and more... identical. Ren Chenxi and Ren Mu Hui, were they really so alike? Just because they were twin siblings, would they get used to being the same, having the same smile, and even emitting the same aura?

Ren Chenxi didn't notice that Mu Ning's gaze on her was getting more intense. She just joyfully lifted her chin, repeatedly dodging Blanket's cuddles and leans.

"Alright, Blanket, it's so itchy~" She said that, but her arms holding Blanket were unwilling to let go.

Beside them, Jian Dan watched Ren Chenxi petting the cat continuously, resisting the urge to join in herself. She sighed softly, admiringly saying, "Blanket is really cute and beautiful~ Look at Blanket's fur, so smooth and shiny. You've raised it really well!"

Ren Chenxi's hand, which had been crazily petting the cat, finally stopped. Although she didn't want to admit it, the words from Jian Dan made her realize... Over these two years in the apocalypse, Mu Ning, who hated cats, seemed to have taken good care of Blanket after all...

Ren Chenxi gently helped Blanket along its long fur, smooth and sleek, without a single tangle.

"Thank you."

The "thank you" that Mu Ning had been waiting for so long, but now she didn't care. What mattered more to her at the moment was...

"Blanket has been with me for two years. Zhang Tongqi, Sun Jia, and I have taken care of it for two years. But during these two years, from the initial hostility with flattened airplane ears and hissing at us, it gradually began to trust us. It started eating the food we prepared, obediently let us help with its bath and grooming. Occasionally, when it's in a good mood, it allows us to touch its back. But, that's it. It has never been as intimate with any of us as it is with you. The last person it got this close to was Ren Mu Hui."

Zhang Tongqi always thought it was because Blanket, like most cats, had a cool temperament. However, with the appearance of Ren Chenxi, it seemed like Blanket had turned into a cat that loved being pampered. Leading Ren Chenxi into the house, with Mu Ning following behind, though there was a person in between, their feelings at the moment were the same... sour. One was sour about people, and the other was sour about the cat.

Sun Jia's room door was slightly ajar, probably because it wasn't closed properly when Blanket ran out. Zhang Tongqi informed Ren Chenxi that while their team was out searching for medical supplies and other items, they left a speed-ability mutant, Ge Yijin, outside Sun Jia's room to keep watch. Inside Sun Jia's room, there was a 4th-tier mutant cat, Blanket, accompanying her. Ge Yijin was probably not around since he returned to the third floor after guarding all night. Blanket, possibly hearing noises outside, opened the door by itself.