Chapter 63

Although the barbecue stall was set up, there were still some initial preparations to be made. For example, Huo Keyu needed to develop her secret barbecue sauce and barbecue seasoning. Additionally, the guys had to use the shelves to create a mobile barbecue cart for Huo Keyu's team.

The ingredients for the secret barbecue sauce and barbecue seasoning included some seasonings provided by Ren Chenxi, as well as fresh ingredients like scallions, ginger, and garlic. While Mu Ning and others could grow scallions and ginger, they had to venture into the wild to find the rest. They didn't need to gather everything; they would collect as much as they could. After all, the guys also needed to gather materials for making the barbecue cart.

With everyone's collaborative efforts, Huo Keyu's barbecue stall finally opened on the third evening. In these three days, Du Tian and the others quickly learned a few tricks from Huo Keyu, so they could help out when Huo Keyu was busy. However, despite the preparations, everyone was ready for a moderate business. In reality, Huo Keyu's barbecue stall turned out to be the most popular among all the street food stalls, so much so that Zhang Tongqi and Chen Gu were scrambling to help later on.

Although the price for a skewer of meat was set at 10 level-1 crystals, people couldn't resist the high-quality ingredients, fresh materials, and most importantly, the delicious taste of the skewers. Even if these skewers were placed in the pre-apocalyptic era, their taste could compete with those from barbecue shops. The reason they surpassed the pre-apocalyptic taste was that in the post-apocalyptic base, all the street food couldn't compare to Huo Keyu's team.

For instance, a popular stew stall among these street food stalls, according to Chen Gu, never changed its broth. They just added some water every day, resulting in a milder flavor. However, the problem was that the meat or other ingredients added by the stall owner sometimes included not-so-fresh ones. Chen Gu once had a strange-tasting meat from that stall and never went back.

The same logic applied to a spicy mixed stall. The reason they sold dry instead of soup-based spicy mixed was because the owner kept the soup continuously boiling. Due to the constant addition of water, the taste remained mild, and similarly, the owner would sometimes use not-so-fresh ingredients in the mix.

In the post-apocalyptic world, various foods were precious, and some people were reluctant to discard meat and vegetables that had been kept for a while. Crafty stall owners took advantage of this by processing these less fresh ingredients and selling them. Besides food, various seasonings were even rarer. This led to a common characteristic of the street food stalls in the base – everyone was stingy with seasonings. Most of the street food tasted much milder than before the apocalypse.

With mild flavors and not-so-fresh ingredients, many street food items were priced at less than 1 level-1 crystal. Selling a skewer of meat for 10 level-1 crystals, as Huo Keyu did, would leave others feeling stuffed if they went to other stalls! So when Huo Keyu and the girls pushed the barbecue cart over on the first day, a few ordinary people who came to inquire about the prices immediately turned and went to the nearby stall. The people selling cold mixed vegetables nearby almost burst into laughter. Initially, when the few girls pushed the barbecue cart over, these people were thinking of driving them away. Regardless of what they were selling, they didn't want more competition.

The nighttime in the base was generally dim, lacking streetlights, but some light bulbs were tied to trees or wooden poles. In the area of the food stalls, every few stalls had a light bulb hanging. Under the warm glow of these yellowish old-fashioned light bulbs, the few people selling cold mixed vegetables initially only saw Huo Keyu and her friends, the ordinary people without abilities at the front. They immediately frowned, wanting to drive them away. However, upon seeing Zhang Tongqi, Wu Tong, and others following closely behind Huo Keyu, they were scared into holding back their words.