Chapter 31

By the time morning arrived, there were piles of bodies outside the house. After guarding all night, despite everyone being exhausted, they followed Chen Gu's advice to make use of the current lull in enemy attacks and quickly dispose of the bodies outside to prepare for their departure.

The reason it's said that daytime in the apocalypse is safer than nighttime is because many nocturnal creatures, even if mutated, cannot change their habits. During the day, these mutant beasts temporarily hide and become active again after dark. However, daytime in the apocalypse is only relatively safer. Before the apocalypse, the human population was vast, but after the apocalypse, at least more than half of humanity turned into zombies, plus those who got infected by the virus from zombie bites. Therefore, the number of zombies is much greater than people would imagine. Zombies are not influenced by day or night, so they will continue to be attracted by the strong scent of blood. A small mistake could even attract higher-level zombies.

Furthermore, not all mutant beasts are nocturnal. In the apocalypse, you can't afford to let your guard down at any time.

When Chen Gu talked about disposing of the bodies, he meant extracting the crystals from the brains of the dead zombies and mutant beasts, and then harvesting a few pieces of meat from the mutant beasts. Once they did that, they could leave. After two years in the apocalypse, while some people might not know that even the brains of supernaturals contain crystals, everyone knew about the crystals in the brains of zombies and mutant beasts. In some large bases, crystals had even become a form of currency, like in the South Sea Base.

While the others were busy extracting crystals from the corpses one by one, Ren Chenxi walked around the corpses, her attention locked on the twenty empty inventory slots that had appeared on her backpack panel. Thankfully, in this game world, even though many aspects of the game settings were similar to the MMORPGs Ren Chenxi had played, the concept of item despawn didn't exist. As long as the items dropped by monsters weren't picked up, they would continue to exist.

Yesterday, in the later waves of zombies and mutant beasts, despite the persuasions of others, Ren Chenxi, dragging her injured body, managed to smash nearly ten 1st and 2nd-tier zombies, along with hitting more than twenty mutant beasts. Thanks to this, along with her earlier gains, Ren Chenxi's backpack suddenly had an extra 18 level 1 crystals, 16 level 2 crystals, and 7 level 3 crystals.

On one side, Ren Chenxi was content with her harvest, while on the other side, the people busy extracting crystals were puzzled.

"What's going on? These zombies' brains don't seem to have crystals?"

"Mine is the same. Could it be that these zombies are not even 1st-tier?"

Under normal circumstances, supernatural beings with similar levels can sense each other's levels and also sense the levels of zombies and mutant beasts. However, in cases where there is a significant level difference, higher-level supernatural beings can hide their levels from lower-level ones. But zombies and mutant beasts cannot hide their levels unless they are already dead.

Once a zombie or mutant beast dies, supernatural beings can no longer sense their levels, but they can still determine their levels by examining the crystals inside their brains. However, encountering zombies and mutant beasts without crystals in their brains was baffling to the supernatural beings.

"Zombies that are not even 1st-tier? Do such zombies exist?"

"Not just zombies, these several mutant beasts are also the same. There are no crystals in their brains."

"It's strange. Look at the size of this wolf; it's clearly a mutant! Could it be that the crystals of mutant wolves don't grow in their brains?"

"Then what about zombies? Why do some zombies have crystals in their brains, while others don't? I think you look more like someone who didn't grow a brain!"