XXVIII

Axel

I walked into the bedroom and quietly made my way to the bed. I sat down on the edge, making the mattress dip slightly. I started playing with Laila's hair.

"Chérie, wake up. The sun is about to set." I whispered sweetly into her ear.

She made a couple noises of protestation before sitting up slightly and smiling at me.

"I like it when you're the first thing I see when I wake up." She said with a giggle.

"Then I'll make sure you see me first thing every single day." I said with a smile.

She laughed and her laugh was so angelic, so sweet, it really did light up the whole room.

I grabbed her by the waist and quickly pulled her out of the sheets before carrying her out of the bedroom bridal style.

"Axel!! Put me down!" Laila said as she laughed.

I smiled at her as I readjusted her in my arms. I couldn't stop staring at her. She was so beautiful, so perfect.

My smile quickly faded as I thought that a perfect girl like her couldn't possibly want to be with a guy like me. I'm sure she didn't want anything to do with me or my world.

"Are you okay?" Laila asked as she looked up into my eyes.

We were all the way at the bottom of the staircase and I walked us over to the balcony.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I replied as I forced a smile.

I set her back onto the ground and we leaned against the banister of the balcony, looking at the beautiful sunset over the tropical island and the ocean which stretched for miles and miles. The sunset coloured the sky orange and pink, it was truly beautiful.

"So, I overheard your conversation with Christine, we're staying until next monday?" Laila asked.

"Yes, that's right. I didn't know how long it would take for the storm to clear out." I replied as I stared ahead.

"Who is she anyway?" Laila asked teasingly, "Your other girlfriend maybe?" She said as she giggled.

I let out a loud laugh.

"No, she's just my assistant." I replied with a laugh.

We both stared at the sunset in silence, it was so beautifully breathtaking.

"I was thinking, on Sunday we should spend a day on the boat," I paused, "Before going back home."

"Yeah! That sounds great. The boat was so beautiful!" Laila replied as she turned to look at me.

I turned to look at her and admired her beauty.

"Axel?" Laila asked as she stared off at the sun which had nearly disappeared behind the ocean.

"Oui, ma chérie?" I replied.

"You don't mind if I post on social media, right?" She asked.

"No, I don't mind. Just don't post any locations, or any specific dates. And if you wouldn't mind delaying the posts. For your safety."

"Of course."

The sun had disappeared, and only a few streaks of light remained in the sky.

"Let's go inside to eat?" I asked.

Laila nodded and smiled and walked in. I followed behind her and into the house.

. . .

Laila