XXVI

Axel

"Well, are you sure you want to hear the whole story?" I asked her.

"Of course I do." She replied as she grabbed my hand into her small one.

I sighed, "Well, my dad used to be a mafia leader. Leader of the French mafia. The French mafia orgiginated in Corsica, a small island belonging to France in the Mediterranean Ocean. When I was little, I knew that my parents had a lot of money, but I didn't know why. I grew up just thinking we were a part of the Upper Class. When I turned 15, my parents told me what my father did for a living, and as the oldest son, it was my responsibility to take over once he stepped down, or once he passed away. Until then, I'd have to work along side him, simply to get the ropes of the work."

I took a pause before continuing, "When I turned 20, my dad stepped down, and gave me the responsibility of leading the mafia. I had had plenty of experience with what had to be done as I had been working in the mafia for five years and working along side my father for two of them."

I lifted up my shirt and pointed to my heart, "This tattoo shows my dedication and my loyalty to the French mafia. I would give my life for it." I turned away as I pulled my shirt down.

"So it wasn't your choice to join the mafia?" I asked.

"Well I would have had a choice of joining, bringing honour on my family and building a life for myself. Or to reject the mafia, my family and have to start over, far from them and never contact them again." I said as I looked deep into Layla's beautiful eyes.

She smiled at me.

"So I chose to stay by my family and join the mafia." I said.

"So, is the French mafia violent or more low-key?" Layla asked innocently.

"Well, we tend to be more on the down low, we deal mostly with drug and weapon trafficking. No human trafficking and sometimes things can get messy but it doesn't happen often." I replied

Layla didn't have to know that we were in an unbelievably messy situation at the moment...

"I don't want you to think less of me. The money I had from my parents to build myself an honest life I invested it in honest projects: real estate, technology development, stocks."

"Okay, I understand." Layla said.

"I hope you understand. And I hope it doesn't change the way you view me, or the way you feel about me." I said as I looked away from her.

"Of course not, I want to know you, I want to spend time with you, I want to be with you, no matter what." Layla replied as she smiled at me and buried her head in my chest.

I rested my chin on the top of her head and took a deep breath in. I was relieved.

"I can't wait for this storm to be over." Layla said, her voice was muffled by my damp shirt.

"Me too." I replied as I held onto her tighter.

We held onto each other for a few moments more.

"You should get into the shower." Layla said, still holding onto me.

"I should." I replied with a chuckle as I kissed the top of her head.

She slowly let go of me and looked deep into my eyes.

She was so perfect. So beautiful, so intelligent, so interesting, so funny. She was the one for me.

I pulled her up off of the bed with me and turned us to face the window, "It's still stormy outside." I said.

She nodded as she let go of me and walked back to the bed. Layla grabbed a book off of the bedside table and sat up against the headboard. She opened the book and started reading.

I watched her for a couple seconds, she was so beautiful.

I slowly walked towards the bathroom and closed the door behind me.

I took off my damp clothes and let them fall to the floor. I hopped into the shower and let the hot water hit my body.

I let the water wash over my face, my hair and the rest of my body.