VIII

Layla

I had changed into some more comfortable clothes, some straight leg blue jeans and a white knit sweater. I put on some low rise white sneakers and sprayed some perfume.

I was going to explore the house.

I wanted to go to the library first to pick out a few books and relax and read a little.

I pulled open the door of my bedroom and stepped out. I closed the door as quietly as possible to try not to alarm the guards in the small room next to my bedroom. I turned around to go down the corridor and was blocked by a huge guard.

I jumped back in shocked and let out a scream.

"You scared me!" I said angrily.

"My apologies, Miss Blanche." He spoke in a monotone voice.

"That's okay, I thought you were all in the other room." I said while looking down at my shoes.

"What's your name?" I asked, filled with curiosity.

"Zenno." He said while looking deep into my eyes.

I nodded.

He was a tall man with broad shoulders and bulging muscles. It looked like the buttons of his white dress shirt were about to pop off. He had black hair that was trimmed in a military cut. One of his dark eyebrows had a slit through it. He had piercing brown hunter eyes and a straight nose. His face was structured beautifully, and the stubble on his jaw only enhanced his defined features.

"Where were you headed to, Miss Blanche?" He asked, raising one eyebrow slightly.

"I just wanted to go pick up some books from the library." I answered timidly.

"Let me accompany you." He replied coldly.

We walked down the tower stairs and through the long entrance hall, then up the staircase to the first floor. We walked all the way to the west wing of the building where the library was.

He pushed past me to open the heavy wooden door and let me through.

I browsed through the thousands of books that sat in ancient bookcases. The smell of the library was divine, it smelled of paper and ink and old leather, along with dried lavender which was placed in wooden bowls all around the huge room. I grabbed 6 books and went to put them down on one of the tables. I went to look out of the huge bay windows that overlooked the garden. It was majestic. It was impossible to tell where the garden ended, maybe it never did.

I looked out of the window for a couple moments before walking back to the table, picking up the book on the top of the pile and walking over to a green armchair to sit down.

I sat and opened the book, "The Count of Monte Cristo". I read the first 5 chapters before noticing the light outside dimming, the sun was slowly descending towards the horizon. The huge bay window had a lot effect view of the sunset.

Zenno walked towards the armchair I was sitting in as he said, "Miss Blanche? We should start heading back to your sleeping chamber before dinner is served."

I looked up at him through my lashes as I said, "Already? We've only been here a couple of hours." My tone was whiny yet soft.

"You need to get ready for dinner with Mr de Montmort, it's not up to me." He said, his gaze softening slightly.

I got up, making sure to remember what page I was on. I grabbed the pile of books from the table and started walking out.

We walked through the west wing corridor, down the stairs, through the entrance hall, and up the tower stairs all the way to the fourth floor of the tower.

The towers overlooked the house as they were both one story taller. My balcony looked over the gravel courtyard and wrapped around the tower which allowed me to have a beautiful view of the garden and the forests surrounding the property.

I couldn't manage to open the door to my room as my hands were occupied holding the huge pile of books.

I stepped aside to let Zenno open it. I stepped inside and placed the books on the floor next to my bed.

I had tried opening the glass door to the balcony earlier but it just wouldn't budge, this was my opportunity.

I turned to look at Zenno who was stood outside the door.

"Zenno?" I asked in my sweetest tone.

He turned to face me as I continued speaking, "I tried opening the door to the balcony earlier but it wouldn't open, could you help me to open it?" I asked sweetly.

"Mr de Montmort asked for it to remain closed."

I walked towards him, "Please, Zenno. I love looking at the gardens, I won't tell him if you don't..." I spoke as I looked at him through my eyelashes, slowly batting my lashes innocently.

He looked unsure, he looked down the corridor and then past me and into the room.

"Fine, but you'll have to talk to Mr de Montmort to ask him to leave it open." He said as he walked into the room.

He walked towards the door leading to the balcony. He unhooked a key from his belt and and pushed it into the keyhole of the door.

He was completely distracted. I quietly moved towards the door and stepped out. Then I ran down the staircase and towards the entrance doors.

"Miss Blanche! Stop right there!" I heard Zenno yell as he ran down the stairs, his heavy steps resonating in the stone stairwell.

I kept running towards the main doors, I pulled them open and ran into the courtyard. As I ran towards the gate, I saw someone emerge from a car.

Oh. Fuck.

I stopped in my tracks, I could hear Zenno's heavy steps as the gravel crunched under his feet.

Axel turned around and saw me standing in the middle of the courtyard, I tried turning around and running back into the house but Zenno caught me before I could.

"Eh ben, décidément tu ne veux pas rester calme..." Axel spoke in French.

His voice was so attractive, I knew I was in trouble.

"Please, Axel. I'm sorry... It will never happen again." I spoke as tears ran down my face.

I meant what I said, I knew it was impossible to escape. I'd just have to convince him to let me go...

"Chérie, you need to stop lying to me. Pull something like this one more time and I'll have to take away some of your privileges." He spoke so calmly.

"I want you to be as comfortable as possible, you know that? Eventually you'll learn to love it here, and maybe even to love me." His voice held a bit of sadness in it.

"Now go get ready for dinner."

Zenno pulled me by my arm back into the house. I turned around as we walked away and mouthed "I'm sorry" to Axel. I was sorry, I really was...

.·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·.
I hope you guys liked this chapter! Its a bit shorter than I would have liked but oh well. It's starting to get a bit more interesting, you guys are in for a bit of a surprise in the next few chapters ;)

With love,
M