XXVII

Layla

I read my book until Axel got out of the shower. He walked into the bedroom, his towel wrapped around his waist and his hair slicked back. The diamonds on his ears were glistening in the dim light and the gold chain on his neck was slightly crooked.

The rain was still hitting the windows harshly.

Axel walked over to the closet and grabbed some clothes: a pair of linen trousers and a loose fit t-shirt.

"Axel?" I asked, not taking my eyes off of my book.

"Oui, Chérie?" He replied.

"My friend Danielle, from tennis, said she'd love it if I met her husband, maybe we could all go golfing together or go to a restaurant to get introduced?" I proposed.

"That sounds like a great idea. Do you know what villa they're staying in?"

"I don't know which one, but I know that her husband bought it, i'll ask her now." I said as I smiled at him and pulled out my phone.

To Danielle: hey Danielle, I was just wondering which villa you were staying in? Maybe when this storm is over we can have a double date x

She read the message and started typing right away:

Yesssss, that sounds like a great idea!!! We're staying in the White Wood villa. Hope that helps!

"They're staying in the White Wood villa." I said to Axel.

"Alright, I'll call their villa today to arrange something with Danielle's husband." He replied with a smile.

He leaned towards me and gave me a quick kiss before walking out of the bedroom and towards the kitchen.

I went back to reading my book and quickly got engulfed in the story.

. . .

Axel

I was sat at the dining table with my computer out. I grabbed my phone and called the resort secretariat.

"Hello, this is the Terre d'Or Resort secretary, how can I help you today?" The secretary spoke chirpily on the other line.

"Hello, this is Axel de Montmort from the Starlight Villa, I was just wondering if you could put me on the line with the White Wood villa or give me their home phone?"

"Yes of course, Mr de Montmort, i'll put you on the line with them right away."

"Thank you."

The line clicked for a couple seconds before a male voice picked up, "Hello?"

"Hello, I was just calling because my girlfriend, Laila, is friends with your wife, Danielle, and Laila and I wanted to invite the two of you to lunch or to a game of golf, perhaps?" I spoke into the phone.

"Oh, yes. Danielle has told me about Laila, well we'd be delighted. Do you already have a time and place in mind?" Danielle's husband replied in a slight accent.

"We could go for an early morning game of golf and then grab some brunch." I offered.

"Sounds perfect." He replied.

"Great, let's pick a day once this storm is over." I said.

"Alright, we'll be in touch." Danielle's husband said before I hung up the phone.

I shut my laptop and grabbed it under my arm as I walked up the stairs and towards the bedroom.

I walked into the bedroom and set my computer on the bed before dialling a number.