chapter 33 :'-]

~minho's pov~

"Basically, when the birdie comes, you have to bring your racket all the way back and slash it forward as fast as possible." explains Yeona after pulling me aside with the promise of showing me how a smash works.

"The direction you stroke towards is where the birdie will land. It's more of a forearm movement than a wrist flick. The key things are speed and power."

She demonstrates the movement with her own racket, bringing it back and slashing it diagonally just like she described. Then, she pulls a birdie out of her pocket, throws it high in the air, and smashes.

"Try it."

Without another word, she makes her way to the other side of the net. Then, with no warning whatsoever, she hits the bird and sends it my way. In a rush, I attempt to remember everything she just said. I bring my racket back and slash it forward with as much power as I can muster, just as the birdie was flying towards me. I hit it.

"That was really good!" She claps with excitement after it lands next to her, "you've already got it basically. You learn much faster than most others, smashing isn't an easy thing to do. I guess nonstop dancing does help."

I smile at her comment.

"You can also consider jumping up high when you're about to hit it, to deliver even more power." She picks up the same birdie that I just smashed with. "Try it."

With that, she once again hits it high over the court, and this time, I leap into the air as I slash the racket down.

"Even better," she commends, smiling. "Good job. Now, something to remember is that you need to be careful of the angle you're smashing. If you go too low it will hit the net, and if you go too high it'll just go straight across which is easy to block. But so far, you haven't had a problem with it."

A proud grin blooms on my face. I have come to the decision that I love smashing.

"Can I try a few more times?" I ask.

Without giving me an answer, Yeona throws another birdie again, and I smash it just in time. She continues to drill me with flying birdies and I attempt to smash each one of them. Each one of them is successful.

"You're so good. It took me much longer to master it." she states.

"Hm. But now that you have, you can do the unbeatable Yeona Smash." I reply.

Her face goes red and she hastily looks down, smiling shyly.

"So you've heard."

Before I can say anything else, she launches yet another birdie in the air, and once again I smash it successfully. After a few more drills, Yeona suggests, "Do you want to play with me?"

"Yes."

We decide to keep the match simple–our classic first to three. Memories of how Yeona jumpscared me with skills I didn't know she possessed come rushing back. I smile at the nostalgic feeling. It seems like so long ago, when it was actually only a month ago.

We start the game, and Yeona wins the first point a little too soon with a simple drop shot that I was unable to counterattack. A concentration mistake on my part.

During our second turn, I don't realize I hit too high until it's too late. Straight away, I suspect that she's going to smash a fraction of a second before the birdie reaches her. My fears are confirmed when Yeona leaps like a lioness, swings her racket back and slashes it forward in a flash. BAM!

I can't help the little scream that escapes me as the missile-turned-birdie lands next to me, even though I was literally expecting it. After I open my eyes that I didn't realize were squeezed shut, I roll then and sigh, exasperated with myself. Why does this happen every time.