chapter 23 8-x

The day has finally come.

I lug my carry-on to the designated bus waiting area, along with my backpack and a small fanny pack (because for me, just a backpack is definitely not enough for all my stuff), joining the other waiting students. Most of them, having been there for a while, are already shivering. I knew that there was no point in arriving early because the buses would be late. again. and I was right. In my three years at this school, they have never not been late.

But who cares about the buses? It's camp day!

Feeling a sudden gust of wind, I pull my hoodie closer. Sooyun, who met me by the bus stop when I arrived, is beside me adding a few final songs to our road trip playlist. It's probably going to be entirely Seventeen, BTS, GOT7, and TWICE, but I'm fine with that.

(a/n: okk! so basically 3rd gen are kpop groups that exist here. 4th gen people go to high school, but 3rd gen is to them what 4th/5th gen are to us.)

After observing my best friend navigate Spotify, I lift my head from Sooyun's phone to look around. There's a sea of eleventh grade students surrounding the entire area, each paired with a suitcase. The streets are busy, but not with a single bus to be seen.

Through the crowd of students, I recognize Minho who is walking towards me. I wave at him and he waves back.

"Why aren't you with your friends?" I ask when he reaches me.

"They're being a little crazy. I think they're high."

I look over to where the five others are, and sure enough, there they are chasing each other pretending to be zombies. How these crazy boys got so popular? Beats me.

"You're going to miss them soon though." I argue.

Minho rests his chin on my shoulder and looks up at me, dark doe eyes glistening. It's such an adorable action that I can't help but feel my heart swelling. I take a shaky breath before tilting my head down to look into his own eyes, and that's when I notice how close our noses are. My heart beats even faster.

"It's fine." he says.

He shifts slightly so that the side of his head is now leaning against my shoulder, as if we're sitting down in front of a TV watching a K-drama. I'm not sure why that image is the first thing that came up in my mind, but that's all I can imagine now.

He sighs and goes on to say, "I wish the buses were sorted by last name. Then we could be on the same bus."

For every field trip, three buses take us to our destination, each holding around fifty students. The students are sorted into buses by first name, so A to I is bus 1, J to R is bus 2, and S to Z is bus 3. This is good, because it means that Sooyun and I always get to be bus mates. It is a little disheartening that Minho is in bus 2, but what can you do.

"Then all the Kims, Lees, and Parks would be in the same bus, pabo."

Minho nods, head still on my shoulder. "At least I have Jisung," he says. "You can never get bored with Jisung. Unless he's asleep."

I smile. "Looks like we both get to sit with our best friends."

"I would rather sit with you though."

"I wouldn't."

Minho sighs loudly following my deadpan, exasperated. "Why are you so mean to me?"

I smirk evilly. "This is to make up for the years you ignored me and treated me like a piece of trash."

"Fair enough."

Nothing is said after that. We both stand in place, staring into the streets observing the passing cars in search for the buses. Minho's head rests gently on my shoulder, his soft purple hair ruffling against it. I feel at ease, knowing both of us are aware I'm not actually being mean to him.