Chapter 21 ;3

Tryouts finally ended, and after careful consideration I already have a good grasp of who I want on the team.

Choi Yeonjun, in twelfth grade, for senior boys singles. He's the best of the best which is why he always gets this position. But also because he's also unable to work with someone else. Last time he played doubles, he chased his partner around the entire gym threatening to smack him with his racket because they lost once.

(a/n: was his partner beomgyu...)

Hwang Yeji, tenth grade, girls doubles. Nepotism was not a factor when I made the decision. She's really good and the fact that she only started playing three months ago is shocking.

Kawai Ruka, a ninth grade Japanese transfer student, for junior girls singles. I noticed she has a really interesting playing style that others can't mirror, which could be useful in beating an opponent but not in playing with someone else. I can see she has a lot of potential.

Kim Woonhak, ninth grade, junior boys singles. I'm confident he's going to improve with great speed, and I'll be there to help him.

Lee Minho, eleventh grade, boys doubles. I don't think he's ever played badminton outside of gym class, yet he's still so good. He catches on and adapts exceptionally quickly, and he just naturally knows how to play well. I'm glad he decided to join.

Park Seonghwa, twelfth grade, boys doubles. He was on the team last year, and he's especially good at collaboration. He's one of the best people I've seen play not just at badminton but specifically with a partner, which is why I had to take him.

Park Yeona, eleventh grade, girls singles. That's me. She's the amazing beautiful talented cracked-at-badminton team captain, wink face.

Shin Ryujin, tenth grade, girls doubles. Another really good player. She tried out last year but didn't get in. She's really talented so I decided to give her the chance this time. As far as I know, she's also good friends with Yeji so I'm sure they will play very well together.

Song Mingi, eleventh grade, mixed doubles. He's Seonghwa's friend so they play together a lot, and I can see Seonghwa's methods rubbing off on him which is a good thing.

Song Yuqi, twelfth grade, mixed doubles as well. She's Chinese and since badminton is a huge sport in China, she's been playing the sport since she was like two, though she stopped playing seriously a while ago. She was the girls junior single in grade nine and ten.

(a/n: the ages make no sense if you compare them to real life, like yeonjun is '99 and lino is '98 so whys he younger, but whatever T^T
omg i love all these people, weirdly enough only woonhak is actually my bias haha)

And those are the ten amazing people I hope will form this year's badminton team. All that remains to be done is to confirm it with Coach Jeon, but no doubt she'll accept. I have a good feeling about this.

I'm currently sitting on the floor (it can't be that dirty) by my locker, computer in my lap, writing the acceptance emails to the ten recipients. I'll write the rejection emails later.

Sitting next to me is Minho, leaning against me and watching me type away as I tell him about all the candidates I chose.

Minho, whom I still have no idea why he spontaneously joined the tryouts.

So I ask, "Why did you come to tryouts?"

He lifts his head from my computer and sits up straight. "Should I not have? I'm sorry."

"Not at all, I already told you I want you to join the team. I'm actually happy you came because I can see you're going to be a valuable asset to the team, especially after you learn more. But...why all of a sudden? You should've told me?"

Minho says nothing for a bit.

"It was kind of a rash decision. Dance ended early and I was bored." he finally responds.

Immediately, it feels suspicious. "So you were bored after school and decided to try out for the badminton team??"

"...yeah."

That sounds iffy. Especially after what Coach Jeon told me.

So I tell Minho, "The coach said and I quote, "he apologized so much for being late and begged me to give him a chance that I did." "

At that, Minho's expression changes to a deer caught in headlights, and he bows his head down, purple hair covering his red face.

"What's the real reason, Minho?" I interrogate. Minho hesitates.

"You looked sad today."

My eyes widen when I remember the way I acted at lunch today. A blush creeps across my face, not ready for the following words.

"I wanted to make you happy."

~~~

(a/n: short but sweet uwu.

guys dont forget to comment and vote if you like this story! it means a lot and i loveee making friends <3)