chapter 10 :S

One by one, the boys say their goodbyes as they get off at their respective bus stops, until only Minho and I remain. We stand quietly inside the bus, holding onto the poles since all the seats are full and we're getting off at the next stop anyways. We don't speak, other than the occasional small-talk to fill the silence.

Part of me feels bad that he's tagging along. I don't even know where he lives, and as a result I don't know how far he has to travel from my house to his, or how late it will be when he finally makes it home. Nevertheless, I'm grateful for the company, and as the bus comes to a halt at my stop, I allow him to walk with me down the streets to my house.

"Is your dad going to get mad that you're this late?" Minho asks, with a bit of concern in his voice.

He's speaking quietly, as if he doesn't want to shatter the quiet atmosphere of the night.

"No, I let him know I'm with friends." I reassure, "It's okay."

"Your dad doesn't care? That you're not studying or anything?"

"Hm...not really. He trusts that I'm good at managing my time."

Minho eyes me with skepticism, so I continue my little lie. "Hey. I may act like I'm doing terrible in school but that doesn't mean I actually am."

"Sure, Einstein. I believe you." Minho smiles sweetly.

Yeah, I may have been lying a bit. By now everyone knows that yes, I am having trouble in school, but it's not like I don't study. Sometimes. I'm just terrible at tests which is half of what determines our grade.

And sometimes I just don't study. But if I did, I would still be bad.

Part of the reason my father is so laid-back is because he can relate—he also struggled in high school (which did not stop him from becoming a data scientist). Another part is that he believes universities don't care about your grades before the 12th grade, especially the program I plan to go to, which surprisingly, when I told him, didn't make him livid at all. And maybe there's another reason that he doesn't voice out loud, which is that after all this time, he still pities both of us.

"Fine, even if I am failing it's because he supports what I want to do with my future. Which is definitely NOT anything that needs math or science."

"Oh? What is it then?"

I'm about to tell him before I remember we're only a few blocks away from my house and it would take too long to explain.

"Story for another time." I state simply.

Minho nods. "You're lucky. You seem to have a great relationship with your father. I wish I could say the same for me and my parents."

I look at him sorrowfully. "I'm sorry," I murmur, and the sudden urge to be informed about Minho's personal life so that I could help him, or at least hug him, takes over me. "I guess we just understand each other at a really deep level, especially since..."

That's when I realize something, causing me to stop in my tracks.

Wait.

Minho stops as well and gives me an inquisitive look.

"Wait. How did you know I don't have a mother?"

He gazes at me and gives me a consoling smile. "I'm a really observant person, Yeona."

I nod my head and resume walking. That makes sense, it's not like anyone at school has ever met her, for obvious reasons. And word has a way of getting around.

"I'm really sorry." Minho blurts out.

"About what?"

"Your mother. I...can't imagine what you had to go through and..." he doesn't finish.