chapter 32 ;-]

Camp was exciting, and many things happened. It almost felt like a vacation, as if for two days, I was disconnected from reality.

Right now, I'm being faced with a new form of excitement. Adrenaline begins to pump through me as I adjust my gear, unpack my racket, and begin doing random warm up exercises while I greet each of my friends who are entering the gym.

It's finally the first day of badminton practice.

I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, and both excitement and anxiety courses through my veins.

"Welcome to your very first practice, everyone!" I announce cheerily after everyone has arrived. They face me in a cluster of sleepy faces as I deliver my speech. "I hope you're all excited. I'm excited! Okay so before we get into rallying, Coach needs to make a few announcements."

I gesture towards Coach Jeon, and step back to join the group of students.

"Alright, team. So first and foremost, I have some...badish news." Coach begins, "As you all know, we compete in the annual AISA competition which is usually held in May, and that gives us around eight weeks to prepare. This year, however, there was a technical difficulty so they rescheduled it to the fall. The exact date is still unknown, but I heard from some other coaches that it might be November twenty-first. The schedule change messed up nearly every school's schedule, and now we have exactly one month to prepare before the first tournament."

I hear a few gasps resound through the gym, and I can tell people are already getting stressed. I for one was definitely stressed when I found out. But with the correct strategies and frequent practices, I'm confident everything will go smoothly. All I need to do now is console the others.

"That's okay though!" I cut in, "We'll just have to meet up for practices more frequently, like twice a week. I know we can do it. We will all do really good in the competition. Fighting!"

My teammates echo the last cheer, and it brings a smile to my face.

"On the topic of practices," Coach Jeon carries on, "We know every other day is a lot, so if you can't make it to some practices because of other engagements, I understand. School is busier than ever and you all have lives. But please try to make as many practices as you can."

I nod to reinforce the message, but I picked these people by hand and I have a feeling they are going to work as hard as they can. We all have one thing in common: a passion for badminton.

"Moving onto practice regime, practices will be spent playing against one another. The doubles teams will play against each other, the two juniors will play against each other, the two seniors will play against each other, etc. I will come around and assist each of you, and so will Yeona when she's not playing.

"I will now do attendance and double check each of your positions. Please, raise your hand when I call your name. Choi Yeonjun, boys senior doubles."

Yeonjun raises his hand. She notes it down on her clipboard.

"Hwang Yeji, girls doubles."

Yeji raises her hand.

"Kawai Ruka, junior girls singles. Kim Woonhak, junior boys singles. Lee Minho, boys doubles."

As the coach continues calling names, the ten students take turns raising their hands.

"Park Seonghwa, also boys doubles. Park Yeona, senior girls singles. Shin Ryujin, girls doubles. Song Mingi, mixed doubles. And finally...huh, another Song. Song Yuqi, also mixed doubles."

Coach Jeon finally finishes her attendance, writes a few things down, and then says, "Great. Welcome to your first practice! Fighting!"

With that, everyone rushes to begin rallying. I note that everyone brought their own personal rackets. That's good. I myself have my own racket, one of my most prized possessions. Her name is Blast. She's perfect and no racket is better than her. I refuse to share her with anyone, or cheat on her with any other rackets, not counting exceptional situations like that gym class when our teacher decided to start the badminton unit early.