Vol-5: Chapter 31.1

A gentle spring breeze blew and tickled his golden hair. Étienne opened and closed his eyes, feeling the warm sunlight on his head.

Following the scent of the flowers that tickled his nose, he turned his eyes to a vast maze of gardens. The maze garden made of emerald trees was one of the prides of Archduke Eckhart.

Étienne leisurely admired the garden, which was divided into triangles and squares around a circle in the middle. It was amazing to see the emerald trees bathed in sunlight glowing in clear green and bright gold.

“The garden is very pretty."

Étienne took his eyes off the beautiful scenery and moved his gaze to the other side. Richard was sitting across the white table. He covered his eyes with his hands and lowered his head.

“Are you going to keep doing that?”

Étienne looked at the embarrassing Richard with his face covered, then slowly opened his mouth.

“It is because I am ashamed.”

Richard answered in a low voice and washed his face dry. A moment ago, his emotions had been so strong that he had unknowingly embraced Etienne.

That's all he was, he didn't reject Etienne, he accepted himself, and he acted like a three-year-old child.

If the butler hadn't brought refreshments just in time, he might have continued to do so. Richard felt his cheeks heat up and pressed his hand down to his mouth.

Apart from embarrassing things, the corner of his mouth kept going up, which was embarrassing.

“What are you so ashamed of?"

“I acted like a child, didn’t I?”

“All over again.”

Etienne sighed and laughed. Richard seemed to want to be seen as an adult by Étienne, but he was just a big kid in his eyes.

Étienne looked at Richard with a little wonder. After the reunion, he only looked at him with his hair neat and in a uniform, and then when he saw him with his hair down and wearing comfortable clothes, he finally looked the same age. Reminds him of the old days.

Is that why?

Strangely from earlier, his heart was beating. Étienne took a deep breath in to calm his strangely quivering heart, then he exhaled.

“........Why do you see it that way?”

“What am I?”

“No, um, no.”

Richard was babbling as if he didn't know what to say. It was clearly a smile in his light blue eyes.

“Ahem.”

Richard cleared his throat a few times to hide the embarrassment rising up his face. Perhaps it was because it had been a while since Etienne was comfortable with him, and he felt his heart tickle for no reason.

"Master."

When the air of tranquility drifted between the two of them for a long time, Albert appeared, dragging a tray on wheels. It was newly prepared because Richard and Étienne moved from the parlor to the patron.

“I brought new tea and dessert.”

Albert put down the teacup in front of Richard and Étienne, hiding his embarrassment. He then put down the plate of Madeleine and cookies and raised the teapot with a graceful gesture.

“I’ll pour you some tea.”

“It smells good.”

Étienne said, looking down at the teacup from which the sweet and sour scent was rising. When Etienne spoke up, Albert's already tense shoulders stiffened.