Vol-2: Chapter 9

“Congratulations on your return!”

“To meet the hero of the empire! It is a family honor!”

The victory banquet held to celebrate the victory of the Empire and the return of Archduke Eckhart continued until late at night.

All of the nobles gathered in the banquet hall praised Archduke Eckhart's achievements. They surrounded the Grand Duke and started talking to each other. It was intended to impress the hero who emerged as the new power of the empire.

“Your Highness, do you remember me? I Participated in the Battle of Ursula Plain......”

“Your Highness. This is my son. I entered the Imperial Military Academy this time, saying that I wanted to serve the Grand Duke up close.”

“Please give me a moment, Your Highness. I am…..."

Etienne, seated in a corner, quietly sipped his drink, listening to the voices of people praising Richard.

Maybe it was because of Namia Marquis Youngsik's business, the nobles didn't approach him.

No, people wouldn't have approached Etienne if it hadn't happened last night. Regardless of the faction, the nerves of the nobles gathered here were all on Archduke Eckhart.

“Hmm.”

Sitting crookedly in a chair, Etienne looked around the banquet hall with bored eyes. The nobles and other factions, the people gathered in the hall were largely divided into two.

The noble faction, centered on the Empress and the Duke of Hereis, glanced at Richard as if he were their enemy and chatted among themselves.

The other nobles were eager to chat with Richard at least once. Even while watching the empress's notice, they continued to hover around Richard.
In such a situation, the emperor was the most excited. He proudly carried Archduke Eckhart by his side. It was an act so blatant that it seemed childish at first glance.

A person who does not know the genealogy of the imperial family would think that Archduke Eckhart was the only son of the emperor.

Étienne let out a smile as he thought about that. She really thought it was possible. It wasn't empty words, but the two really looked like a father and son who got along well.

“…....It will be noisy from tomorrow.”

Etienne sighed lightly after estimating the situation that would arise after today. He stared at the crowd that filled the great banquet hall with a tired face.

I thought a lot of people would come, I didn't know it would be like this.

It would not be an exaggeration to say that today's victory banquet gathered all the nobles who had enemies in the capital.

One of the reasons why many more people attended than expected was to see and judge with their own eyes who was close to the next emperor.

Was his choice right, who would be more advantageous to attach to, who was closer to the position of crown prince, the prince or the grand duke.

The nobles who attended the banquet were busy exploring each other, each wearing a mask with a smile on their face, hiding their real faces behind a fan.

Both those who chose their lord to serve and those who had not yet chosen them all fiercely rolled their heads and fought each other.

And the emperor cleverly used it. He held Archduke Eckhart in his arms throughout the banquet. Then he introduced the Archduke to those who came to greet him. It was shown by actions instead of words.

After tonight, it was clear that the fact that the emperor's heart was for Archduke Eckhart would spread beyond the imperial capital to the provinces.

“…...I can't see anymore.”

Étienne, who was watching Richard surrounded by dozens of nobles, slowly rose from his seat. Perhaps he was already drunk, and his stomach was throbbing as if his internal organs had been twisted since earlier.

"Your highness? Where are you going?"

“I’ll go get some fresh air.”

Étienne, answering Ben's question indifferently, unfastened one of the buttons on her neck. Seeing that something was at stake, Ben pressed close behind him.

“Are you going to the garden? I will see you.”
“No, it’s okay. I'm going to the balcony.”
“A balcony?”
“Yeah, so don’t follow me. It's an order.”

Étienne held up her hand to stop Ben and made his way to the balcony alone. At other times, he would have returned to the prince's palace at this point, but he couldn't do that today.

The Empress ordered Étienne to remain at his post until the banquet was over. In times like these, she insisted that he show a firm figure to the nobles.

She didn't know how much of an effect it would be if she kept him to his seat, but Etienne quietly followed Leona's words. It was because there was nothing good about showing dislike for her, who was not in a good mood. However, sitting still without doing anything was much more difficult than I thought.

Everything he could see and hear was full of unpleasant things.

So Etienne decided to leave for a while. Everyone did it, so I thought it would be okay.

Why, isn't there such a thing as a tactical retreat?

In order to hold on until the banquet was over, it was necessary to calm down a little, even being blown by the night wind.