Vol-2: Chapter 7

“You are late.”
"Sorry."

Arriving at the main palace, Étienne bowed his head to Leona, who rolled her eyes at him.

“Did you sleep well last night?”
“Did you sleep comfortably?”
Leona's eyes widened at Etienne's greeting. Her face was full of annoyance.

“I begged you so! What did you do last night?”

Leona scolded him in a loud voice. Etienne said nothing. He just kept his head down. He knew very well that whatever he said would only increase her temper.

“Haah, no, no.”

As Etienne fell silent, Leona let out a long breath, as if trying to dispel her anger. Then she said in a much softer voice.

“I heard from the Count yesterday. Youngsik, the Marquis of Namia, argued with you first, right? Dare to put ‘him’ in his mouth.”
“…..yes."
“Tsk.”

Leona clicked her tongue at Étienne's answer. She did not hide her displeasure.

“I’ve heard that people supporting him are running around here and there, but….. I didn’t expect them to show off even at gatherings hosted by my family.”
Leona's voice sank ominously.

For now, what should I do with Marquis of Namia? Thinking, she looked at Etienne again.

“Anyway, next time if something like that happens, just ignore it. Or call the Count.”
“I will.”

Étienne answered obediently. At that time, a voice announced the arrival of the emperor.

“His Majesty is here!”

As soon as the chamberlain informed him, the emperor appeared. Étienne straightened his posture and greeted him.

"Good morning, Father emperor .”
“…..Yes."

The Emperor glanced at Etienne as he greeted him, then gave a brief reply. The conversation between the father and son ended with that. He walked right past Leona and Etienne. He didn't even say hello to Leona.

"Hmph!"

Leona glared fiercely at the Emperor, who treated her as invisible, then turned her head away. The two have already been in this state for 20 years.

“I apologize, Her Majesty the Empress.”
“Okay, what did you do wrong?”

Leona waved her hand as if it were okay when her chambermaid apologized with a apologetic gesture. In the meantime, the emperor climbed into the carriage alone.

“Let’s get into the carriage too.”
“Yes, mother.”

Etienne quietly followed Leona. The emperor didn't even glance at the two as they climbed into the carriage.

“Let’s go.”

When the chamberlain closed the door and signaled to the coachman, the wheels of the wagon began to move. Then, the imperial knights moved in perfect order and took their places on either side of the carriage. After that, courtiers, including the chief of staff, followed.

“…… .”

“…...”

Unlike the noisy uproar outside, the inside of the carriage was locked in silence. Étienne felt the heavy air and bit his lips. The silence was so heavy that his breath got caught in his throat. He was always like this whenever the emperor and empress met.

Etienne swallowed his sigh and closed his eyes as if to ignore everything around him.

There was nothing I could do for myself anyway.