Vol-1: Chapter 3.4

“…...What are you planning to do next?”
"Yes?"
Étienne, who had been lost in his memories, was brought back to her reality by the empress's voice. The empress asked Étienne blankly, and she wrinkled her brow.

“What are you going to do when he comes back.” she asked.
“I will do as you say.”
"Okay."
The empress nodded her head lightly, as if she liked Étienne's answer.
“You just have to do what your mother said.”
"Yes."
Étienne bowed his head in obedience. But there was a bitter smile on his lips.
Until now, the Empress had not wanted Étienne to do anything on his own. She only wanted one thing from her own son: not to be discovered as an Omega.

She said, “It is crazy enough to think that I would have a child of my own and try to make my collateral imperial family the successor.”
She muttered with her face that the more the empress thought of her, the more amazed she was.

“There seems to be idiots calling him a hero lately, but nothing to worry about.”
"Yes."
Etienne replied mechanically. The achievements Richard had made over the past three years were terrifying enough to alert the empress.

Not only did he successfully block a large-scale monster wave, he even defeated the barbarians who were aiming for the empire. It was an activity worthy of being called a hero. It was natural that the opinion that Richard should be sealed as crown prince instead of Etienne, who had not yet made any significant contributions, was supported.

“From now on, you will also be doing external activities.”
“…...yes?"
Etienne's eyes widened at the unexpected words. Then the empress laughed lightly and snorted at her.
“What are you surprised about? Things have changed because of him and the Emperor. Even if you can't go on an expedition like that guy and make a contribution, you should at least show your presence as a prince.”
"Ah, yes."
“Don't worry too much. Because the stage will be prepared by this mother. You just need to show your face a few times while being careful like you are now.”
"All right."
“Ah, mind your reputation.”
“As for reputation……?”
“The imperial family's madman. I mean, don't listen to that."

Headsman.

The words the empress put into her mouth caused a momentary laugh. Étienne tightened the tips of his lips. The empress would surely think it strange if he laughed here. He had to manage his facial expressions if he was not to be suspected.

“It is not allowed to collide with the nobles like last time. Please refrain from drinking for a while.”
“I couldn't help it then. Because you dared to ignore me, the prince, at the subject of Viscount Youngsik.”

Realizing what the empress was talking about, Étienne deliberately spoke arrogantly. If anyone else had heard him say it, it would have raised their eyebrows, but not her. The empress, who had been a great aristocrat from birth, had a clear relationship with her superiors and subordinates, and had a deep sense of superiority.

“That was good. I have to step on the colt who runs rampant without knowing his fountain.”

As Étienne expected, the empress' voice softened a little. She wanted for the first time that her son had said the right thing.

“Still, be a little self-respecting. Don't cause unnecessary friction."
"I'll try my best. But please understand the alcohol.”
"What?"
“I don’t want to drink either, but I can’t help it. Doesn't mom know too? That I need a drink for the drugs I'm on.”
“Mmm.”

The empress fell silent at Étienne's words. Etienne was currently taking more than one or two medications.
Medicine to suppress the heat cycle, medicine to suppress hormones, medicine to lighten pheromones, medicine to hide inside jewel eye etc....

Etienne has been taking drugs to hide Omega's traits ever since he was a child.
No matter how good a drug is, too much of it can be poison. However, the medicine Etienne had been taking was to artificially control natural phenomena. Naturally, several problems were bound to arise.

For that reason, the court physician and pharmacist in charge of Etienne advised him to drink once in a while, saying that when he gets drunk, his tense body and sensitive nerves naturally relax.

Even so, the stress index accumulated in the body should be lowered.

“I can't help it.” If the balance between body and mind is broken and pheromones cannot be controlled, everything is in vain. The empress took a step back while frowning at him as if disapproving. She also knows.
That Etienne's body was in a precarious state, like a cracked glass.

“Drink, but… … Be careful how you behave so that you don’t come out of people’s mouths.”
“I will be careful.”
“Then just leave. I'll tell you what you need to do through the maid.”
“Yes, Mother.”
Etienne responded submissively. After bowing according to the etiquette, he left the reception room.

"Your highness!"

After passing through the long hallway and coming out, Ben, who had been pacing in front of the empress's palace with a nervous face, came running.

“Are you okay?”
"I am okay."

Etienne smiled lightly. He let out a long breath as if letting go of the breath he had been holding back. When he came out of the empress' palace, he was finally able to breathe properly.