Vol-4: Chapter-23.1

“Come down carefully.”

Ben, who got off the carriage first, hurriedly opened his umbrella. A guard standing in front of the main gate recognized Etienne and saluted hastily.

“Go in.”

Étienne passed by, idling around being greeted by the guards. A wet sound echoed with every step.

“The road is so…....”

Ben frowned at the puddles all over the road. Thinking of protesting to the building manager, he tipped his umbrella as far as he could toward Étienne.

Despite Ben's efforts, Etienne's shoulders and the hem of his trousers were wet. It was raining so hard that an umbrella was useless.

“Where is the office? What floor is it on?”

Entering the lobby, Etienne lightly brushed her hair. Since the visit was not announced, no one came to pick him up. Ben, who hastily pulled out a handkerchief, answered his question quickly.

“It is the first floor.”

"First floor?"

Etienne made a puzzled expression at Ben's answer. The first floor, where several common spaces such as conference rooms and lounges are located, is bound to have less security than other floors. For this reason, it was common to use the upper floor for higher ranks.

“Wasn’t the old office on the third floor?”

“It is said that His Highness requested the first floor, so a small meeting room was renovated. This way.”

Ben, who had figured out the location of the office in advance, skillfully guided Etienne. After following him to the right, a large corridor appeared.

"Uh?"

"Omg."

A few people huddled together in the common room connected to the Great Hall recognized Étienne and let out exclamations or sounds of surprise. Ben raised his index finger and held it to his mouth as if telling them not to make a fuss.

“Is that it?”

Meanwhile, Étienne checked the door on the other side of the corridor. Unlike other places, only that door was guarded by a knight.

"You're right. That is the office of His Highness the Grand Duke.”

“Come on.”

Étienne quickened his pace, avoiding the curious gazes of the crowd. In the long hallway, portraits of generals who left their names in history were hung side by side.

After passing through a few doors and reaching the end of the corridor, he saw people working against the walls. Looking at their outfits, they were courtiers belonging to the military.

“Yeah. The portrait came out really well.”

Bang-bang.

The servant who was sitting on the ladder and nailing was admiring the portrait he was handed down from below. Then the person holding the ladder refuted.

“It turned out well. The portrait couldn't capture all of His Highness's beauty.”

Étienne stopped at the word grand duke that came out of the man's mouth. It seemed that what they were hanging was a portrait of Richard.

The last few days, at the cabinet meeting, they heard that they were discussing promoting Richard to general.

"Oh. Hey, did you hear the news? His Highness, Archduke Eckhart, refused to marry the Mathias family! Even though it was arranged by His Majesty the Emperor, he said he didn't like arranged marriages and kicked it!"