Vol-5: Chapter 29.1

A breeze blew in through the wide open window. Etienne, who had put the book he was reading on his armrest, turned his head to look out the window. Just looking at the green forest like a masterpiece made him feel better.

“Good…....”

Étienne smiled lightly at the scenery full of spring energy. On the three days since he came to the villa, he was spending a more peaceful time than usual.

The time at the royal villa was much more peaceful than he thought. Count Maef faithfully followed Etienne's words. He did not even go to the annex where Etienne was staying. The same was true of the courtiers belonging to the detached palace.

For the past three days, Étienne has risen late to eat and take light walks. As he walked along the trail around the annex, his head and speed felt clear.

He wasn't just taking a walk, of course he thought nothing of it. He wandered here and there, Étienne using his walk as an excuse. He tried to figure out the structure of the detached palace.

Fortunately, he had a good memory, so it was not difficult to memorize the road.
After he finished his walk, he returned to his room and read a book. Then Ben came over with dinner. After that, he soaked his body in a bathtub drawn from a nearby hot spring, rested, and fell asleep again. It was a life similar to when he was in the imperial palace, but the time he spent in the detached palace was much better than he thought. It was because, unlike the imperial palace, there was no need to care about other people's eyes.

There was no empress to bother Etienne, no eyes or ears to watch over him.

The courtiers who came with him to the villa were selected by Ben with great care, one by one. All courtiers, the empress's limbs, were excluded.

Thanks to that, the annex where Etienne stayed was no different from his space. Etienne felt his breath freshen for the first time in a long time. When his mind is at ease, he naturally becomes at ease with his body.

“Your Highness the Prince.”

Etienne got up and went to the balcony when he heard a voice behind him and stopped. When he came in, Ben was standing with his clothes on.

“I brought the clothes you said.”

"It's faster than I thought."

“It’s a little sloppy because I was in a hurry to mend it, but…...You won't have any trouble wearing it and moving around.”

said Ben, setting his clothes down on the table. The clothes he brought were for attendants to wear when going out. Étienne checked the clothes Ben had brought one by one and put on a satisfied expression.

“A wig?”

“Here it is. And this.”

Taking a brown wig out of a paper bag, Ben handed Etienne an identification card. The plaque with a star-shaped jewel was specially made to indicate that he was a courtier belonging to the palace of the emperor.

“It belonged to an attendant who had just entered the palace. It must be given back, so it must not be lost.”

"Thank you."

Étienne, who thanked Ben, put on his wig with clumsy movements. Somehow, he was a little excited.

"How is it? Do you think it's not me?"

“The wig is crooked.”

Seeing Etienne in a wig, Ben reached out with a sullen face. After tidying up the wig, he hesitantly opened his mouth.

“Are you sure you want to go?”

The careful question was full of worries. Ben wanted to stop Etienne even now. It was reckless no matter how much he thought about going to Eckhart's residence alone.