Vol-5: Chapter 28

"Come this way!"

“Move quickly!”

The detached palace, located in the forest owned by the imperial family, became noisy from early morning to welcome important guests. The courtiers belonging to the detached palace eagerly carried their luggage, glancing at the wagon engraved with the imperial family pattern.

“Move carefully so as not to get scratched!”

Ben moved between the people, giving orders in a booming voice. As Etienne's chief attendant, he has been hectic since dawn. Even though the number of people and luggage going to the palace was minimal, there were many things to worry about.

“Your Highness the Prince.”

When things were sorted out, Ben approached the carriage in which Etienne was riding and knocked on the door. Then, as if waiting, the window opened.

"It's over?"

"Yes. I moved all the luggage inside. I haven't finished cleaning up, but...... I think you can get off now.”

"Great job."

"What. Get off carefully.”

Ben smiled and stepped aside as he opened the carriage door. Meanwhile, Étienne, who had roughly adjusted his clothes, raised his body.

“Welcome, Your Highness the Prince!”

When Etienne got off the carriage, Count Maef and the courtiers of the villa, who had been waiting for him to come out, bowed in unison.

“Greetings to the Star of the Empire! My name is Maef Ise, who is in charge of managing the villa. It is an honor to serve His Highness the Prince.”

“Nice to meet you. Count Maef.”

Étienne smiled at Count Maef as he greeted him.

“Her majesty must have said otherwise, but I came here to rest quietly. That's why I brought a minimum of courtiers to wait on.”

"I know. I will be careful not to disturb Your Highness's rest.”

“The Count won't have to do anything else. My attendants will be those who came with me.”

"Yes?"

“I am saying that there is no burden on you just because I am staying at the villa. You don't have to try to meet me. Just think of me as someone who doesn’t exist.”

“No, how can such disloyalty…....”

“It is not disloyal. The count can do his count's work as usual. I will be free to rest on my own.”

Etienne cut it off. Count Maef was a person belonging to the neutral faction, but his weakness was that he was overly ambitious. It was good to draw the line in advance so as not to bother later.

“That's why I decided to stay in the annex rather than the main building. Do you know what that means?”

“…...All right."

When he deliberately said it strongly, Count Maef agreed as if he couldn't help it. Étienne nailed it once more. In order not to interfere with his own plans, he had to completely exclude the Count.

“Once again, I came here to rest. I would be very annoyed if someone interrupted my rest for no reason. Thats way, I might be able to find a manager more suited to my tastes.”

At Étienne's warning, Count Maef put on a nervous expression. The courtiers behind him did the same.

“I will keep that in mind.”

"Good. You seem to understand me well.”

Étienne tapped Count Maef on the shoulder with a satisfied face. At times like these, rumors about his bad personality were quite useful.

“Except for a walk, I will spend most of my time in my room. I will also eat inside.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

“While staying at the royal palace, visits without an appointment are forbidden. I want the Count to take care of anyone who comes and send them back.”

"Of course."

“Even the count should communicate with the chief attendant here if he has any business with me. Got it?”

“I will.”

Count Maef nodded eagerly. Étienne asked for a handshake with a smile on his face toward the spirited count.

“Then take good care of me for a month.”

“I will serve you with all my heart!”

Count Maef held Étienne's hand in a more polite manner than before. That is how the month-long life in the villa began.