Vol-4: Chapter 21

Click.

A teacup with steam rising and delicious cookies were placed on the table.

"Please eat."

"Okay."

At Étienne's invitation, Edwin awkwardly raised the cup. He observed his son in front of him while drinking tea.

Even now, as before, Etienne couldn't make eye contact with him properly.
Edwin looked at Étienne, who lowered his eyes, and remembered his purpose for coming here.

‘I am not your son. His Majesty's son is not me, but the prince his highness.'

Edwin, recalling Richard's words from a few days ago, bit his lower lip with a complicated face. His chest felt heavy as if a pile of mud had been put on it.

“Prince.”

“Yes, Father emperor.”

Etienne slightly raised his head at Edwin's call. The moment the sky-blue eyes with cloudy light stared at him, Edwin felt a tightening sensation in his stomach. He said he was sick, and he definitely didn't look good.

No, looking back, this kid always had a bad face. It was because he was born weak and often suffered from minor illnesses. But it wasn't just for that reason.

Edwin knew that Leona was pushing Etienne. The more he turned away from the two of them, the more she pushed her son. Even knowing that, Edwin didn't stop Leona. On the contrary, he thought it was not his job. But why come now?

“Father emperor?”

When Edwin didn't say anything, Étienne put on a puzzled expression. His hot blonde hair swayed along his slightly tilted head. Seeing that, Edwin's face crumpled.

Gray-gold hair, light blue eyes.
The color the child had was proof that he inherited his own blood. However, his eyes, nose, and mouth were all Leona.
So he evaded. He was in a hurry to take care of his wound, so he couldn't give it to him. Can you really say that the action is right?

Edwin looked at Étienne with a confused look on his face. The face of the now grown-up son was superimposed on the face of the young child who was craving his attention. At that moment, he was suffocated, as if someone was strangling him.

“Wook…...!”

“Father emperor?!”

Étienne jumped up from his seat as Edwin let out a painful moan and bent his upper body. But he couldn't support Edwin or stretch out his hand. Because he never did.

"Okay. I felt dizzy for a while.......”

Edwin raised his hand as if he was okay with his fidgeting Etienne.

“Should I call someone?”

Etienne asked cautiously. Edwin's face contorted again at the worried voice.
He is a child who can neither come close to him nor reach out to him.

There was a distance between the two that could not be easily bridged. And it was Edwin himself who made that distance. Realizing that reminded him of the foolish things he had done in the past. At the same time, a heavy regret rose in his heart like a tide.

As Richard said, if he had done the least he could as a father, wouldn he have come to this situation?

Edwin looked at Étienne with an inexplicable misery. He straightened his expression and straightened his upper body again.

“Sorry to startle you.”

"No."

“It’s okay now, sit down.”