Vol-3: Chapter 16.2

"Haah.”

A sigh escaped Edwin's mouth. He looked at Richard with a bewildered face. The eyes that had lost their way shook violently.

Few people know that Edwin had a crush on Richard's mother, Grand Duchess Eckhart.

In the first place, it was a single-sided love. He couldn't even confess to the Grand Duchess. He never revealed my feelings, so people didn't know.

Some might have noticed, but as Edwin remembered, rumors never spread. He was even more careful about his behaviour in front of her, fearing that he might harm the Grand Duchess.

Thanks to that, only a few people, including the previous emperor and the current chief chamberlain, knew that Edwin had a crush on the grand duchess. Most of them are now deceased.

After becoming Richard's guardian, strange rumors circulated for a while about Edwin's kinder attitude than towards his own child, but that was it, and since he had never had anything special with the Grand Duchess, the story was soon absorbed.

So Edwin never dreamed that Richard would know about his heart. It was a fact that even the empress could not find out that his crush was a grand duchess. He had been hiding it so thoroughly. But that Richard had known that since he was a child.Edwin momentarily clenched his fists. Hearing Richard's words raised a suspicion that perhaps others already knew.

Could it be that other people did not know the emotions that even a child would notice? Maybe even the empress........

As he thought about it, cold sweat broke out.

“Don't worry too much. There is probably no one other than me who understands His Majesty's heart. It's been a long time since my mother died.”

Richard said calmly to Edwin, who was at a loss.

“You, how did you.......”

“Somehow I found out. His Majesty's eyes looking at my mother are the same as my father's.”

Richard replied with an innocuous face. His five senses are very good, and since he was a child, he used to see things others couldn't see and hear things others couldn't hear.

As a result, he was naturally able to read facial expressions, eyes, and moods that others did not notice.

It was because of that that he learned the emperor's heart, which even his mother, his party, and his father, his wife, did not notice.

“It's the same with knowing that Your Majesty has a twisted affection for me. His Majesty looks at me with the same eyes he used to look at my mother. At times like that, I feel like a substitute for my mother.......”

“No, not a substitute! Not like that. It is not so!"

Edwin was startled and denied Richard's words.It was as if the figure had revealed a secret that had been hidden for a long time.

“Even if it's a substitute, it's okay. As long as that heart doesn’t suppress my freedom and take away my happiness.”

“Richard.”

“Please, Your Majesty. If you really care about me, please help me to be happy.”

Richard deeply bowed his back. Edwin looked at Richard with a complicated face and sighed. It came out like that, and he couldn't stand it any longer. Edwin decided to take a step back.

“I know your heart well. It seems I made a mistake because I was in a hurry because of the empress. I feel sorry for Margrave Mathius, but let's pretend there was no marriage talk.”

"Thank you."

“But I am not giving up on making you emperor. This is necessary for your own safety.”

Edwin straightened his posture and said in a powerful voice. One yielded, the other could not. This was a matter of Richard's life.

“…....I'll think about that part too. Which direction is good for everyone.”

After thinking for a while, Richard gave an ambiguous answer. There is no change in his heart that he does not want to become emperor, but he is tired of arguing with Edwin here.

“Okay, then go back and rest. It's late, so go to sleep.”

"Fine…....No, since you are doing me a favour, I will go to sleep. Can I go to Esteban Palace?”

Richard, who was about to reject Edwin's offer, changed his mind. Edwin nodded as he spoke of the palace he stayed in as a child.

"Okay. Even when you emptied the capital, the chamberlain continued to take care of it, so there shouldn't be any inconvenience.”

"Thank you for caring about me."

Richard smiled. Edwin, who was looking at Richard like that, hesitantly opened his mouth.

“Richard.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“….....Do you have someone in your heart?"

"There is."

Richard answered Edwin's question without hesitation. The unwavering voice was full of confidence in his heart.

“Can you tell me who that person is?”

"Sorry. I can't tell you yet.”

"Not yet?"

"Yes. I'm just in love with him.”

“Unrequited love?”

Edwin's eyes widened. That Richard was in unrequited love was something he never thought of. Richard laughed awkwardly at Edwin, who was surprised. He had an unusually shy smile.

“From A long time ago…...I liked him. To the extent that no one else has ever thought of it.”

"That….....”

Edwin was speechless and pursed his lips. A series of shocks went blank in his head.

“Then let’s go. Have a good night.”

Richard politely bowed towards Edwin, who looked at him with a dazed face. He was thinking of getting away before asking who he was.

"Ah."

Richard, who turned and approached the doorway, let out a small exclamation as if he remembered something. He turned his head back to Edwin.

It's a little cheeky, but I thought it would be good for the future to say it clearly.

“One last word: I am not your son. His Majesty's son is not me, but the prince."

“…......!”

“I was, and will always be, my parents son. I appreciate the affection and trust you send me, but I hope you don’t think of being satisfied with me as a vicar.”

After speaking, Richard went outside as if he had nothing else to do. Edwin came to his senses at the sound of the door closing.

“Mmm.”

Edwin, left alone, leaned back in his chair. Richard's words made a ripple in his heart. His mind was a jumbled mess.

“…......”

Edwin was still deep in thought. Concerned about his health, the chief chamberlain repeatedly asked him to go back to his bed and rest, but Edwin did not move. Eventually he stayed up all night sitting up.