Vol-2: Chapter 11.4

When did Etienne stop laughing at him?

Since when did he become more accustomed to hiz serious expression than hiz smiling face. Richard searched for memories with a bitter face. The relationship between the two changed drastically three years ago, the day Etienne celebrated his coming-of-age ceremony.

Etienne, following his coming-of-age ceremony on the second day of the new year according to the imperial tradition, began to distance herself from Richard little by little. There had been signs before, but it was the first time that they drew a line openly.

Étienne's one-sided distancing intensified when Richard formally succeeded to the grand dukeship. Étienne, who attended the succession ceremony, made it clear that he would keep his distance from him afterward with formal congratulations.

At that time, Richard clung to Etienne, who was building a wall. Even though he knew why he was doing this, he couldn't understand it.

‘Don’t call me brother from now on. We're no longer brothers.'

Etienne was adamant. He really wanted to be with Richard. But Richard couldn't accept it. It was like a death sentence for Richard.

'If it's because of the rumors surrounding me......You don't have to mind.'

Richard thought it was because of the emperor and empress that Etienne kept a distance from him. The emperor, who was a benevolent guardian, revealed his desire to make Richard his successor when he distinguished himself at the military academy. It was then that the empress became hostile towards Richard.

‘I will be Archduke Eckhart until the day I die. Whatever my older brother may be, but I have no intention of being swayed by the circumstances of the former grown-ups.'

Richard knew everything about why the emperor cared for him and why he wanted to make him the crown prince instead of Étienne.

So I hated it even more.

The emperor's obsession and vengeful spirit, and the empress's ambition were all irrelevant to Richard. However, it seems that it was not Etienne.

'Is it a rumor? I don't know. I just think this is right.'

Étienne denied Richard's words. But Richard knew why Etienne was trying to distance himself from him. He couldn't have known if he didn't know. Because he grew up with Etienne.

Richard's consciousness drifted into a more faded past.

----------------

‘Starting today, this is your home.’

From the day he was led by the emperor to the imperial palace after his parents' funeral, until he entered the imperial military academy, Richard lived in the imperial palace all the time.

'My home?'

'Yes. I will be your guardian until you reach adulthood. It's like family.'

'Family…...’

Richard muttered the emperor's word family as if it were unfamiliar to him. He told him that the emperor could never become a family member.

'The palace you're staying in is where I lived when I was a prince.'

The emperor bestowed upon Richard the palace he had used during his princely days. It was right next to the palace used by Etienne.

'I'll introduce you to the empress and the prince later. Um, how old is the prince this year......He's in the same age range as you, so you'll be able to get close quickly.'

‘His Highness the Prince? I know who. Etienne, right?'

'Hmm? Do you know the prince?’

'Yes. I met him when I followed my mother into the palace.'