Vol-2: Chapter 8.2

Wow!

Tempest Square, where the triumphal ceremony was held, was filled with countless crowds. People who flocked to see the hero who saved the empire from crisis became even more enthusiastic when the emperor and empress appeared.

The emperor smiled and waved his hand at the cheering crowd. The empress also spread her fan with a benevolent smile. Etienne sat across from them like a doll.

"We're here."
"Hmm."

As soon as the carriage stopped, the Emperor climbed alone onto a platform in the center of the plaza.

"Oh my God."
T/N: Cheering of the crowd.

Etienne got off the carriage and reached out his hand for Leona. Originally, the emperor was supposed to escort his empress, but he didn't care for Leona either in public or in private. Because of that, escorting Leona naturally became Etienne's job.

"It is said that Archduke Eckhart has just entered the capital!"

As he went up to the podium with Leona, the court mage holding the telecommunication tool informed him that Archduke Eckhart had entered the capital.

"He's faster than I thought."

At the court mage's report, the emperor smiled for the first time today. Étienne pretended not to see his laugh and looked across the square.

Tempest Square was in a festive mood. People sang songs and danced in groups of threes and threes.

Not long after, a thunderous roar erupted from the entrance of the plaza. Amid the cheers of tens of thousands of people, various flowers and confetti were scattered. Someone even set off firecrackers.

"Grand Duke!"

"Our hero!"

"General Eckhart! Please look here!"

He came.

Étienne swallowed his dry saliva and looked at the entrance of the square. The louder the crowd cheered, the faster his heart beat. Soon, a flag bearer holding the flag of the Eckhart family aloft entered the square.

"......!"

Beyond the vigorously waving flag, black hair like the black night sky could be seen.

At that moment, Étienne unknowingly clenched his fist. It was so far away that only the shape could be discerned, but he knew it instinctively.

It was Richard.

"Ah."

An exclamation like a sigh escaped between his dry lips. Étienne looked at Richard with a blank face. From the moment he recognized his presence, everything around him disappeared.

Richard, like the protagonist of the triumphal ceremony, sat dignifiedly on top of a large black horse. He waved his hand leisurely at those who cheered him.
The crowd in the square reacted to every little movement of Richard. Every time he gestured, cheers broke out here and there.

"Noisy."

Leona clicked her tongue softly at the shouts that shook the air. She didn't seem to like the situation.

Étienne stood like a stone and stared at Richard. He couldn't hear Leona's grumbling or the cheers of the people. His gaze was fixed on Richard.

Through the fluttering flower paper, the sun's black hair shimmered with a blue light. Beneath it were thick eyebrows and deep eyes. A straight nose and a well-groomed mouth.

"......."

Étienne moistened his dry lips with his tongue as he watched Richard approaching. Strangely, the inside of his mouth was dry.

Three years ago, he was between a boy and a young man, and now he has become a complete adult. In the place where the childish face disappeared, the mature man's face was placed. His body, which was already compact, became bigger and stronger.

Above all, the atmosphere has changed. Richard was oozing energy like a well-forged sword. Etienne knew people with that kind of aura.

Military generals going out to the battlefield as if they were eating, or knights who had experienced death in battle.

Richard had the same aura as those people. Maybe it's because he've been rolling on the battlefield for the past three years, crossing life and death.
As he thought about it, the already cloudy sky blue eyes sank even darker.

At that time, Richard raised his head and looked at the platform where Etienne was.

"........!"

The moment their eyes met, Étienne almost unknowingly took a step back from there. He was driven by the urge to turn his head.

But he couldn't avert his eyes. Dark blue eyes, as if they contained the night sea, entangled Etienne.

Étienne caught Richard's gaze and tightened his lips. He was motionless, like a prey caught in a spider's web.
Éttienne did not avoid Richard's eyes. That's why he couldn't even look straight at it, and it was at that time when he was stiff like an idiot. Richard suddenly closed the corners of his eyes.

Smile...uh?

Étienne watched in a daze as his eyes softened and narrowed, and his lips, which had been tightly closed, drew an arc around him.

His heart reacted in surprise at Richard's sudden laughter. Étienne pursed his lips, feeling his heart beat loudly. He was clearly agitated.

Meanwhile, Richard arrived in front of the podium and got off his horse. He then withdrew his gaze from Etienne.

Greetings to the Sun of the Empire. I,Eckhart, have safely returned from our expedition!"

Standing in front of the emperor, Richard knelt on one knee with a restrained motion. Following him, tens of thousands of expeditionary forces saluted the emperor.

"Greetings!"

A high-pitched voice resounded in the spacious plaza.

"Come on!"

The emperor walked over to Richard, sighing as he was being greeted. Étienne looked at him strangely as the bright smile bloomed on his face.

It was a smile he had never given to me.

"You have grown so much. You've become strong."

The emperor raised Richard himself. There was deep affection in the eyes of the emperor looking at his nephew, a distant relative who returned as a hero.
Étienne kept his place with a calm face.

It had been a long time since I had seen the emperor smile broadly. Exactly, it's been 3 years. Because the emperor only laughed like that in front of Richard.

But he wasn't sad or upset. The age of wanting the emperor's affection and expecting his attention had already passed. Étienne no longer wanted anything from the Emperor.

"Is this how he comes out?"

Leona gritted her teeth as she glared at the emperor, who was friendly towards Richard. The emperor was showing off his affection for Richard in front of countless people.